Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

aeroplane with a 9 month old...advice needed

(12 Posts)
lucykatie Sun 08-May-05 19:50:20

hi, we booked our family holiday today, ibiza which is a two and half hour flight, our dd2 will be 9 months and will sit on our knees on the plane.

any advice, tips etc would be greatly received as we have never done this before.

took dd1 when she was 2.

ja9 Sun 08-May-05 19:53:38

will read with interest. we also have 2and a half hour flight at beginning of june with ds who will then be 9mths too.

moondog Sun 08-May-05 19:54:42

I promise you,no different to being on a bus with them. Don't worry!!!

zebraX Sun 08-May-05 19:55:44

does she have a dummy or is she still breastfed? Anyway, swallowing or sucking on something right after take-off can help them adjust the pressure in their ears.

Lots of other tips in the archives, too.

mckenzie Sun 08-May-05 19:58:07

I'd say the same as travelling with any child really. One of you get on the plane first with hand luggage etc and secure the seats, the other one gets on last minute so children aren't being strapped in/sitting for any longer than necessary.
Have toys handy that child hasn't seen for a few weeks and so will be very excited about.

Have a nappy and wet wipe packet that has just 2 wipes left in it in (planning needed here I know) separate bag so you dont need to take whole changing bag to toilet with you if you end up having to change nappy (not enough room in the plane toilets for anything other than the essentials.

It's only a short flights and I think you'll be surp[rised by how few toys etc that you'll need. Travel as light as possible - you've got to carry everything rememeber.

Ignore any other passenger who moans about your child in the unlikely event that she cries. Keep some milk/water handy to offer her in case her ears pop at take off and landing.

Ask for blanket and cushion as soon as you board just in case you need it and they've run out by the time you ask.

And above all, have a great time!

lucykatie Sun 08-May-05 20:07:11

she does have a dummy and yeah that will be firmly attached to her.

i think my main worry is if she starts to cry/moan, people do stare and tut, and it gets me cross and i end up losing it with them....i hate it with a passion.

good idea about getting on last and the nappy changing idea....will use these tips.

perhaps i am worrying to much, we so desperatly need a holiday and i refuse to let children rule our life if you know what i mean!!!!

that sounds really bad, but some people wouldnt go anywhere because of the kids.

jessicasmummy Sun 08-May-05 20:16:47

my little jess screamed blue murder the whole way back from glasgow the other week - she's 9 months old, and no-one said anything nasty!

the only comment was the old dear we met in departure lounge who said as we got off, all better now princess, you can go home and see grandad.... well the smiles she got then!

dont panic - i was stressed about flying with jess but its never as bad as you think its going to be - your little one will be fine, im sure x

lucykatie Sun 08-May-05 20:35:05

aaahhh sweet story really.

half the problem is ......me, as well i am a terrible flyer, last time i had a major panic attack, and wanted to get off!!!!!

need to control myself this time though.

Spoo Sun 08-May-05 21:25:34

I don't know what it is like with an older kid but I have taken my 3 month old to Spain twice so far. Flight about 2 hours. I found the easiest thing to do was to check the buggy in and put him in a sling (maybe a back carrier for an older baby). I found he really enjoyed wondering about the airport like this and it made it ten times easier getting on and off the plane. Remember you won't get your buggy back straight away at the other end. THis can be difficult if he is asleep. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

P.S. Most people who travel have been parents and will sympathise with you rather than berate you. I was puked on whilst the whole flight was watching in the waiting area and a few smiles made me angry, until I realised they were sympathising rather than laughing at me.

dolally Sun 08-May-05 22:09:33

Take a spare t shirt/babygrow in case babe spills or is sick... probably won't but it's a nuisance if you're stuck for two hours and nothing to change her into.

Take a few breadsticks or whatever she chews on, too to distract her if necessary. And DON'T WORRY!

eidsvold Sun 08-May-05 23:40:16

most importantly who cares what others think - if you lo starts to cry etc - you are never going to see these people again. Their opinion doesn't matter. What matters is focusing on making you little one comfortable and content.

lucykatie Mon 09-May-05 09:47:25

thanks for all your help......will try all of the tips to make my life easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now