Talk

Advanced search

How to keep toddlers quiet on a plane? PLEASE HELP!

(13 Posts)
Tigerlion Mon 01-Jun-09 16:51:42

We took a 5 hour flight last year with our then 1 and 2 year old and they stayed awake and hyperactive THROUGHOUT the flight. I vowed to never take a plane with the two of them again until at least a few years.

However we felt in need of a family break and found a really good deal where again the flight is 5 hours away. Has anyone had experience of using Phernegan with what will now be a 2 and a 3 year old? Otherwise I have been told that Piriton send them asleep. I really want them to arrive rested as opposed to exhausted and hyper like last time around. Our DS spent the majority of the flight opening and shutting the table in front of him which drove the old lady - understandably - mad.

Any tips or experiences would be much appreciated.

LittleHarrysMum Mon 01-Jun-09 17:02:53

We just took our nearly 3 yr old DS on a 4.5 hour flight. The things that helped most were the portable DVD player which was brought out as last resort (to make it seem extra exciting!) DH's PSP also gotr a hammering even though he couldn't play it properly DS liked the screen and moving stuff. Lots of magazines and drawing stuff to be pulled out when he was bored of the last thing we gave him. Lots of snacky food.

I wouldn't advise the drugs thing as you don't know how they will react, they could have the opposite effect!! Also I wanted ours tired out from the flight so they slept when we arrived at the accomodation.

HTH

ChopsTheDuck Mon 01-Jun-09 17:07:05

I wouldn't recomend phenergan. It makes mine sleepy, but have heard of children going hyperactive on them!

I've actually found the mroe I tried to entertain them the worse they got. We did long haul when the dts were coming up to 3, and on the way out were well equipped and they drove us insane. On the way back we decided what the hell, didn't pack anything and they sat with the inflight magazine for a bit and fell asleep! We bored them to submission. grin

ChopsTheDuck Mon 01-Jun-09 17:07:09

I wouldn't recomend phenergan. It makes mine sleepy, but have heard of children going hyperactive on them!

I've actually found the mroe I tried to entertain them the worse they got. We did long haul when the dts were coming up to 3, and on the way out were well equipped and they drove us insane. On the way back we decided what the hell, didn't pack anything and they sat with the inflight magazine for a bit and fell asleep! We bored them to submission. grin

ChopsTheDuck Mon 01-Jun-09 17:07:35

whoops blush

laughalot Mon 01-Jun-09 17:07:51

Tigerlion dont have much advice except to say I have a ds 4 and a dd 2.5 we go to turkey on monday and I feel sick at the thought of the journey. We went to menorca last year and my dd cried the whole way, she is so hyper and sitting in a plane seat for 4 and a bit hours is going to kill her. I have tried all the giving new toys, snacks ect but it only lasts for so long. You have my sympathy.

wonderingwondering Mon 01-Jun-09 17:11:35

I tried giving mine travel sickness tabs coming back from the US - DD had been sick on the way out, so, like you, I took the view that a drowsy DD was better (despite the 'ethics' of 'drugging' your kids....) than an overtired and ill one. I tried the drug out a couple of nights before we flew, and she was fine, quite sleepy, but no adverse reaction. But once on the plane, they DID NOT WORK and she was awake (but happy) for the whole overnight flight.

I think there was so much going on around the plane, the marginal drowsiness side-effect didn't really send her off to sleep.

I advise asking for seats at or near the back, so you have the space by the doors to play in. We also took a DVD player - so they sat quietly for a while. We'd also taken them swimming and given them lots of food before flying, so they were physically worn out, and weren't waiting for the plane food.

Also, now they will be old enough to understand that they are going on holiday, and need to be good on the plane so they can go on hols and go swimming, beach etc. A one and two year old can't really be reasoned with, but my 2 and 4 year olds did get the idea that they had to behave in order to be able to go to the beach.

ellingwoman Mon 01-Jun-09 17:19:54

I've found that sitting next to them is horrendous but if you sit behind or in front of them they don't keep pestering you. Dd3 was 3 when we flew back from the US and she and dd2 (5) sat in front of me and amused themselves for 8 hours. It was me who was bored and kept annoying dp grin

Haribolicious Mon 01-Jun-09 18:30:25

We always try and get to the airport early so that DS can have a good run beforehand. We also let him choose a book/comic there so that adds to the excitement of looking at it ON the plane! We have taken DS (2.5) on various 3-5 hr flights and luckily he's always been fine smile. You do need a 'bag of tricks' that you take something out of, one at a time tho...ideally small new things or things that they've forgotten they had but wrap them up (use brown paper or old wrapping paper or even old magazines) for the mystery and also to add a few extra mins to guess what the item is and then to unwrap! Look out for the 'pocket money' sections at supermarkets or ELC for cheap options (stuff might get lost or left behind on the plane so don't spend a lot!) Lots of snacky foods in small containers/boxes and crayons etc are good. Be prepared for lots of walks up and down the plane too!

Oh and smile lots at the other passengers and the air hostesses!!

Tootiredforthis Mon 01-Jun-09 18:37:26

Recently did a 2 and a half hour flight with our 2 year old.On the way there he completely rebelled against the seatbelt and shouted all the way blush. I ended up standing up and apologising to the rest of the plane. I had a bag of treats, sweets and DH and DD helping but no luck at all!
On the way home we were a bit worried!!!!!!! However he was as good as gold and played the whole time. Just your luck on the day I guess. Be prepared but remember if it all goes tits up you're probably unlikely to see most of the other passengers ever again! Enjoy your holiday.

Tigerlion Tue 02-Jun-09 21:44:25

He is just so hyper and I am scared that even a huge bag of tricks will not keep him occupied for long enough. Someone mentioned that a combination of Piriton and Calpol did the trick.

Otherwise there is an Australian natural product called Calm by Bauer which is meant to work brilliantly. Does anyone know whether this or an equivalent is available in the UK?

Tigerlion Wed 03-Jun-09 19:05:15

Does anyone know the Calm by Brauer referred to in my last message. Traveling on Sunday so keen to get whatever I need ahead of the flight.

How I wish there was a class/ cabin for parents with children and then I would feel so much more relaxed...!

zoeiscool Mon 08-Jun-09 15:06:12

we have done two flights to australia with our dd's now. Last one was a nightmare! loads of little snacks, little bags and 'presents' for them to unwrap. Childrens magazines, walks round the plane, trips to the loo, disposable cameras - all worth five mins or so of entertainment....! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now