Talk

Advanced search

Cqaribbean Cruise with 3 month old

(14 Posts)
forevermore Sun 08-May-05 09:56:42

In December I will be going on a 1 week cruise in carribean with a 3 month old which will involve flying to Miami (yet to be born). I booked this before I got pregnant; and have not cancelled since mumsnetters seem to travel everywhere with babes this young. However, are there any specific things I should be worried about since on sea?

I am totally perplexed as to my feeding options. I hope to breast feed, but it will be my sisters wedding and will want to drink alcohol, so want to do a combination of breast and bottle
should i express or just introduce the bottle b4 i go.

is the avent disposible bottle system (which is meant to supply sterilised bottles for up to 2 weeks) worth investing in?

I would love some advice here mumsnetters

suzywong Sun 08-May-05 10:00:13

I would forgo the drinking and bf, not merely because I am a BFing N&&i, but because it will be soooooooooooo much easier abroad and in confined spaces such as a ship's cabin.

You could always have a glass or two of champagne right after a feed and it would be out of your system by the next feed

I know you certainly could do a combination of breast and bottle and I 'm sure a lot of MNers will tel you how to do it succesffully, buty IMO, and it could be argued it is a strong opinion, a night of partying albeit your sister's wedding is not worth giving up BFing for.

forevermore Sun 08-May-05 10:04:14

i was afraid someone would say this. after not drinking for 9 months this wedding was going to my reprieve...ah well...thks for advice

suzywong Sun 08-May-05 10:05:35

well you did ask,
I know you don't mean you are going to stop bf altogether but honestly there will be more boozy nights with your sis and you don't really want to be in charge of a three month old with a hangover - I 've been there done that and it ain't no fun

Ameriscot2005 Sun 08-May-05 10:06:34

I can't say I ever abstained from alcohol while breastfeeding...

suzywong Sun 08-May-05 10:08:42

nor me, but nor did I get bladdered, well only the once

and I should ask, forevermore, before tarriing you with my brush, when you say have a drink do you mean join in the toast or something like this?

Ameriscot2005 Sun 08-May-05 10:10:13

I'd be more concerned about the ability to look after a baby (re accidents etc.) rather than the miniscule amount of alcohol that gets into the baby's bloodstream.

forevermore Sun 08-May-05 10:17:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

moondog Sun 08-May-05 10:21:32

Sorry,completely disagree!!
Have drunk very happily over my 31/2 years of b/feeding. Certainly not a huge sess,but then you wouldn't do that when you were bottle feeding either,would you!!??

B/feeding will (from a purely selfish point of view,health benefits notwithstanding. That of course is an issue,as you will be in a strange warm place and if bottle feeding,there will be a dehydration/gasrt enteritis issue to consider) make your holiday so much easier.
3 month old babies are very portable,and you will be able to cope with a minimum of paraphernalia.nappies,a few clothes,buggy and a sling and away you go!! .

I have travelled a great deal from the minute my babies were born and b/feeding has made my life so much easier. Can't *imagine@ faffing in a cramped hotel room with bottles,sterilisers and powder.

You could still get the hand of expressing of course,and take along a manual or battery operated pump like the Medela and a fe disposable bottles,for when you want a baby free soiree!!!

suzywong Sun 08-May-05 10:23:49

that's certainly possible, you could see if the cruise ship has a sterilising system you could hire and if you drink fruity cocktails then you will be drinking juice aswell. You could definitely do it.

But... it really is no fun looking after a little baby the morning after the night before and I'm guessing on a cruise ship she won't be in a nother room overnight so y ou may not get much sleep.

However, who am I to rain on your parade, you go for it and enjoy your holiday, seriously not being sarcky

moondog Sun 08-May-05 10:31:46

Don't even see you'd need a sterilising system. When mine had a bottle,just boiled it in a pan. Can't you get cold water sterilising tablets anyway?

suzywong Sun 08-May-05 10:33:38

yes you could get Miltons fluid couldn't you

Good Lord the thought of doing all that when hungover makes me feel quite queasy

Prufrock Mon 09-May-05 13:53:44

You could get disposable bottles which are sterile until you unwrap them and carton of formula - but you would need to make sure your baby would take them before. IMO (and experience) if you are sober enough to look after your baby, you are sober enough to bf your baby. There is lots in the archives about this.

Chandra Thu 16-Jun-05 12:12:53

Have just seen this thread Forevermore, I don't know if you are still going but it would be worth it to ask the company if they accept babies that young (P&) only accepts them after 6m, though I don't know id it's the general rule.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now