Talk

Advanced search

Flying and baby milk - advice please

(5 Posts)
lobsters Sat 30-May-09 09:56:15

We might be flying in the next couple of weeks with 5 month old DD. She's on Enfamil for reflux, which means I can't make up her milk in advance. I have to take bottles of cooled boiled water and milk powder. Has anyone taken this through airport security? I know you can take through baby milk, but I'm not sure about milk that's not been made up. I might take a doctor's note to explain, but just need to get through security.

monkeybumsmum Sat 30-May-09 13:11:50

Hi lobsters smile It shouldn't be a problem to take cooled boiled water through security. I travel back to the UK regularly to see family, and have never had trouble taking any kind of liquids through for ds (now 2). In fact, I found out last week that you can take through any liquid that is deemed to be for the child, as long as they are under 3 years.

They'll probably ask you to taste the water at security, and will also probably check the rest of your bag, so allow a little extra time for this.

HTH

spicemonster Sat 30-May-09 13:16:06

That should be fine. As monkeybumsmum says, you will have to taste the liquid but you can take non liquid food with you. I'm not sure about the rules on quantities of powder but I'd just take what you need for the flight in your hand luggage to be on the safe side. You can check details on the BAA website though

inscotland Sat 30-May-09 20:31:28

If they make you get rid of the cooled boiled water (which terminal 5 did to me) just go straight to one of the cafe/coffee places and ask them to fill a bottle with hot water. It should be cool enough by the time you get to take off. Even if they need to top it up with cold water from the tap (which is fine from 6 months - not far off now).

The cabin crewe will be more than happy to do the same although their drinking water won't be as cold as tap so you might want to ask for it early to make sure it is cold enough.

mumoverseas Sun 31-May-09 08:03:31

we had this problem recently when traveling with DS then aged 8 weeks. They would not let us have the bottles of water so when we got through security we bought some bottles of mineral water and used those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now