Talk

Advanced search

marrakech and essouira with children?

(26 Posts)
peanutbrittle Tue 26-May-09 10:17:58

in august? anyone done it?

good idea? bad? how do you get from marrakech to essouira?

and can you swim in the sea at Essouira? the website just mentions watersports, no explicit mention of swimming...

have found lovely appartment to rent in essouira, just not sure whether is a good idea or no...

my dds are 7 and 4

peanutbrittle Tue 26-May-09 12:38:40

anyone?

claricebeansmum Tue 26-May-09 12:46:28

August?

Absolutely no way - far too hot. Morocco best spring or autumn.

MissSunny Tue 26-May-09 13:20:57

Message withdrawn

hf128219 Tue 26-May-09 13:23:23

If you hired a car the drive is very easy. I love Essaouira - it is known as the windy city! The wind does pick up quite a bit - that is why it is so good for windsurfing.

paisleyleaf Tue 26-May-09 13:31:13

There's a bus service (supratours) if you wanted.
I can't remember about swimming at Essouira, but Agadir is only a little way down the coast for more beachy.
We went January and it was gorgeous....I don't think I'd go August myself.

peanutbrittle Tue 26-May-09 13:59:43

presumably the wind makes it feel less hot out at Essouira? (of course all normal considerations about sun protection would still apply - I know)

I really just need to know about the swimming..

we've spent the last 4 summers in wet and dreary Ireland (I am Irish - I am allowed to call it dreary if I want!) and so really, REALLY, need to feel some heat on our little wizened bodies...

not sure how the kids would be - if windy and able to be in and out of water probaby fine...

what is food for kids like out there? unfortunately one of mine is quite fussy...

it seems like somewhere we can get much better value for money :the appartment is half the price we've been quoted in spain and italy and I'm guessing cost of things will be similarly less, taking into account exchange rates and all...

we wanted to go there for our honeymoon but never did...

hmm, not sure now if should leave for easter next year or autumn half term...but teh reality is we only every really can afford one holiday abroad a year and we like to take it in summer ...

hf128219 Tue 26-May-09 14:27:41

Just checked my Lonely Planet Guide - it says 'The beach is windy and has a strong current, not so good for swimming and sunbathing, but excellent for windsurfing'

ruddynorah Tue 26-May-09 14:36:35

no honestly leave it til easter or winter. it will be far far too hot. i'm half moroccan and even i wouldn't go in the summer. we normally go about november.

BonsoirAnna Tue 26-May-09 14:39:04

No no no - neither Marrakesh or Essaouira are August destinations. Lots of hotels will be closed in August because of the heat. April is the best time IMO.

peanutbrittle Tue 26-May-09 16:05:48

sad really? looked it up and average temps are mid 20s - no? am I reading the charts wrong (wouldn't be the first time...)

hf128219 Tue 26-May-09 16:09:18

Temperature will be high 30's-40

peanutbrittle Tue 26-May-09 16:34:26

blimey! shockblush I hear what you are all saying now...

ok, back to drawing board methinks...thanks all

now, anyone got any good ideas for nice place to visit in sugust for me and 2 dds, must be not too expensive and preferable NOT TOO HOT wink

hf128219 Tue 26-May-09 16:39:12

Croatia?

peanutbrittle Tue 26-May-09 17:11:50

realy? have you been? where would you recommend? I know nothing about croatia blush

thanks btw smile

gordonpym Wed 27-May-09 13:59:50

essaouira, no, not for kids, not for swimming. You can't play or lie on the beach because the wind is so strong it carries the sand and it feels like thousands of needles. Swimming, unless you want to die young, forget about it. They are so many,so many surfers, wind/ kyte, flying so close. No, no,no.

Essaouira is lovely, a very nice city, friendly people, nice markets, .... but for young kids? No.
And talking about temperature, don't be so sure to be hot. We went in August,so when I packed I just put T-shirts and summer clothes, and, last minute added a jumper, and it was freezing! I have pictures lying on the beach with the jumper on and a towel around my legs, and we were in the far south, we were sooo cold, we left the coast for marrakesh, which is very .
Agadir is better, but water is ice cold. sea is warmer in november, they told us. So you read the chart right, morocco is NOT hot in August. I was one of my coldest holiday!!

hf128219 Wed 27-May-09 16:57:19

Peanut - there is a thread in Shorthaul about Croatia - maybe you can get some ideas there.

peanutbrittle Thu 28-May-09 09:06:51

thanks GP - think have been persauded off it for now

HF - thanks for that - will go and check it out, you've been very helpful

gordonpym Thu 28-May-09 11:05:28

Tenerife, Sicilia, Sardegna. Sun and not to hot, sandy beaches and especially Sardegna, fantastic water (mumsnet blue!). or lovely greece. All islands are windy, so as long as you stay away from peloponese, you won't be too hot.
We have been to croatia last year, very nice, but DS2 didn't enjoy it so much because of the stones (he refused the shoes), and he loves to do sand castels, and couldn't there. If you are a swimmer, you have to pay attention to the boats (thousands of boats). But it is great for the nature, a lot of woods, ... another hum hum point, was the food, not a great choice of fruits and vegs(except cabbage!), I expected grilled fish, ... but no, it's eastern europe cuisine.

peanutbrittle Fri 29-May-09 19:45:18

oh GP - you are a veritable font of knowledge - I'd love to go to greece - where in particular would you recommend for sandy beaches, not too touristy, easy access from london with the kids - ie not lots of long ferry rides...etc etc

also, our budget will be about £2,000 for flights and accomodation...is that insanely low, are we just being naive, do we need to think camping in uk instead? smile

gordonpym Sat 30-May-09 06:32:01

my number 1, is Elafonisi in Crete. Blue lagoons , fantastic for children and so romantic for adults. I can't find the words to say how beautiful it is. Like Thailand or Curaçao.
It is on the southern part of Crete, the last beach on the west.We were staying in Paleochora, a very nice typical greek village, with nice restaurants and a long beach.
+ : crete has a lot of cheap flights, but don't be tempted by the resort on the northern coast.Mass tourism.

oh sorry, DS2 is crying, will come back, beacuse there is more to say

gordonpym Sat 30-May-09 06:39:13

my number 1, is Elafonisi in Crete. Blue lagoons , fantastic for children and so romantic for adults. I can't find the words to say how beautiful it is. Like Thailand or Curaçao.
It is on the southern part of Crete, the last beach on the west.We were staying in Paleochora, a very nice typical greek village, with nice restaurants and a long beach.
+ : crete has a lot of cheap flights, but don't be tempted by the resort on the northern coast.Mass tourism.

oh sorry, DS2 is crying, will come back, beacuse there is more to say

peanutbrittle Sat 30-May-09 21:49:16

thanks GP - very helpful and I really look forward to any other info you have to share smile

gordonpym Sun 31-May-09 07:47:54

so,I am back. Elafonisi or elafoniSSi, can't remember. Elafonissi is 1.5 hour drive from Xania were we arrived by ferry. It may be longer from Heraklion (capital+ airport).
So for the + points: cheap flights, amazing beaches, safe and perfect for children. Close to paleaochora, you can go on a day trip to the Sammaria Gorges. You arrive by bus, take this incredible track in the middle of the mountains, and at the bottom a boat brings you back to paleochora. But 4 is too young for it
For the - : I went there many years ago and off season, so the big question is, has it changed and how hot is it in august?
my suggestion goggle it and start a new "greece" thread in Shorthaul or call for someone living in Greece in Home and Garden/ Living overseas.

Moving to Sardegna, the whole Island is fantastic but a little expensive. With Children, the northern part is great, La Maddalena and Caprera are 2 islands, both national parks, connected by bridges to the main island. The big minus,will be the cost of the flight. For B&b or hotel, or even a review go to ww.tripadvisor.com, I always agree with them. Otherwise, only +++++!!

For budget holiday: tenerife and adriatic coast,Italy.
Tenerife has really cheap flights. But a package may be more convenient for you. YEs it is mass tourism, but I really like. I go there every year, on costa adeje, far from noise, fun bars, and discos. The Bahia del duque beach is lovely, and we always have a great time. It is easy with children, and relaxing for the parents.
Adriatic coast: I would say cervia, nice big beaches, lovely nature and a great park with animals or Cattolica or even cesenatico . A big NO to rimini, riccione, torre pedrera or what ever. The +++ are fair prices, many hotels are "children free "and you have ryanair flying to rimini or bologna, ++ the kids love it, you can take the train to venice in the morning and come back in the evening, but ---- sometimes it rains in august, the sea is, how can I say it, ....not so nice, not blue

Dear PB, have to go. Hope you are not too confused now!!

gordonpym Sun 31-May-09 07:50:26

terrible typing" WHERE we arrived.
Sorry sorry, I only had 1 cup of coffee this morning. DS2 is an early bird

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now