Talk

Advanced search

Calling Londoners - crossing London in taxi with 14 month old

(29 Posts)
vicdubya Thu 05-May-05 09:50:37

OK I am a bit ignorant when it comes to London black cabs. I need to get from one station to another with 14 month old, can I take him in a black cab..? Do they have child restraints?

If not, is there any other way to get from a to b?

I am not going on the bus or tube, too much hassle, it's just a one off journey.

suzywong Thu 05-May-05 09:53:04

not for a 14 mnoth old
call you local mini cab firm and ask if they have child seats and can be there waiting for your trains, probably work out cheaper too

NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-May-05 09:55:26

I think the child restraint in a taxi is ok for a 14-month old, particularly for a one-off. It's like a tiny little fold-out seat.

If you can find a local mini-cab firm who are reliable with seats, that would work better and be cheaper ... but our local mini-cab firm, nice as they are, are really random with the child seats. The people on the phone don't understand you need different seats for different sizes of kids.

Which stations are they? Are you going to have baggage? The bus or tube is, in many ways, easier, and depending on the time of day, the tube can be faster, too.

LeahE Thu 05-May-05 10:00:33

I'm not sure if the restraint will do for a 14-month old. DS isn't that old yet and we have to take his carseat with us if we take a taxi -- which is why I tend to go for the bus or tube, which isn't really too bad -- although if you have a lot of luggage it could be a pain. I agree with suzywong -- call around the minicab firms and find one that has carseats.

vicdubya Thu 05-May-05 10:02:22

If I attempt it I will be travelling alone, with luggage, so tube just wouldn;t be an option.

Need to get from Liverpool st to London Bridge.

Perhaps I am kidding myself it's possible?!

Twiglett Thu 05-May-05 10:03:54

black cabs you put them in in the buggy and apply the brake I believe

Twiglett Thu 05-May-05 10:04:21

you could walk from liverpool street to london bridge in about 20 mins

(but not with bags)

bakedpotato Thu 05-May-05 10:06:03

Ladycabs (Tel: +44 (020) 7254 3501) in N London have some cabs with child and baby seats -- need to book in advance.

vicdubya Thu 05-May-05 10:06:29

Twiglett I know it's not far but I will have a case. The buggy idea could work if it's allowed?

How would I find out for sure?

I don;t live near London so I don;t know any minicab firms.

Twiglett Thu 05-May-05 10:09:42

london taxi

found this on google, might help??

sorry, I drive so don't do taxis with the kids really

bakedpotato Thu 05-May-05 10:10:01

020 7286 0286 -- computer cabs, the biggest black cab company, could tell you abt the buggy

suzywong Thu 05-May-05 10:15:26

maybe a nice London MNer would be able to give you a lift????

vicdubya Thu 05-May-05 10:16:31

Thanks everyone will investigate later when said 14 month old is not destroying living room.

hoxtonchick Thu 05-May-05 10:21:55

there are loads of buses which go from liverpool st to london bridge, & it's not far. much easier (& cheaper) to jump on one of those. do you need specific instructions?

bundle Thu 05-May-05 10:23:17

suzywong, wot with the congestion charge n all? i'm all for hoxtonchick's suggestion of a bus, you get to see where you're going, all for £1.20

swedishmum Thu 05-May-05 10:26:10

I've been advised in taxis to apply brake and leave dd in as the safest option. I've done it a few times and with a case wouldn't attempt tube or bus.

foxinsocks Thu 05-May-05 10:26:55

I'm all for London transport but in my opinion, a cab is far easier if you have buggy and luggage

soapbox Thu 05-May-05 10:29:12

I would go with the bus option too - Lpool st to London bridge is a doddle on the bus!

However when we have done the black cab in London with children in buggies we have just put the buggy in the taxi and applied the brake as suggested below. Not ideal but fine for a short journey!

BTW it is easier with either option - IME of travelling solo with babes - if you use a large rucksack rather than a suitcase. This leaves your hands free for pushing buggy and humping things on and off trains!

bundle Thu 05-May-05 10:32:07

the newer black cabs do have a built-in booster seat, a big armrest thing comes down in the middle and has its own seatbelt. dd1 thought it was just for her...

Marina Thu 05-May-05 10:33:18

There is a bus from Liverpool St to London Bridge and IIRC it is a single-decker.
Vicdubya, we have used a brakes-on buggy in black cabs many times with ds and dd with no problem at all. Never had a cabbie decline to take us.

Marina Thu 05-May-05 10:33:41

Oooh, posh cabs then bundle. Have not seen one of these yet...

zippy539 Thu 05-May-05 10:37:49

I use black cabs all the time - ds (3) goes in the booster seat, dd (20mths) sits in her buggy, brake on etc. A 14 month old might be a bit wee for the booster seat - I'd go with the braked buggy option.

Personally, wouldn't even attempt a bus with a case and a baby!! But then I am a bit of a taxi queen...

sweetkitty Thu 05-May-05 10:40:03

spooky I iwll be doing the exact same journey with DD (9 months) next Friday London Bridge to Liverpool street. I was thinking of walking as I will have the pram and we are only going away for the weekend so won't have too much luggage. Either that I was going to put DD in the cab in her buggy, they are equipped for wheelchairs so I presumed buggies wouldn't be a problem.

dinosaur Thu 05-May-05 10:43:35

vicdubya it's dead easy. The old-style black cabs don't have child seats, but you can just leave him/her strapped in the buggy and make sure the brake is on. It's no distance from one to the other anyway.

sweetkitty Thu 05-May-05 10:50:34

{http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/pdf/liverpoolst.pdf}

I've been having a look at the website, to be honest if I don't have that much luggage think I'll walk, prefer walking to bus or tube for shorter distances, you can get there quicker as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now