Talk

Advanced search

So stuck for ideas - HELP PLEASE!

(14 Posts)
angel1976 Tue 19-May-09 09:55:08

Hi all,

I am so, so stuck for ideas and please save me for committing to a 'family' holiday with the inlaws (not a good ideas as they are planning a two-centre holiday, which involves staying in 'normal' hotels, which we have already decided is not going to work for us!) just because I am so fed up of trying to organise it.

I will list my requirements in a minute but due to circumstances (I will be 28-30 weeks pregnant by then), initially I thought shorthaul is the way to go but having looked at some --bank-breaking-- prices crazy prices, I'm wondering if longhaul actually makes more sense! But am I even mad to consider it with a 18-month-old toddler and being heavily pregnant (any suggestions for travel insurance that will cover me for that matter?)? Working out prices, it looks like we can just about stretch to a 10-night stay at the Bandos (seems very highly recommended here and does meet our requirements).

We have already done two longhaul with DS (while he was 4 and 7 months old), I know that we can manage it.

Circumstances:
- Me 28-20 weeks pregnant by then
- 18-month-old very lively boy
- Hubby wants a relaxing holiday

Requirements:
- Must have creche or babysitting (only for the odd occasion as I frankly think DS will be bored of being on the beach all day long!)
- Room must at least have separate living/sleep arrangements
- Must be hot and we want a relaxing beach-type holiday
- For emergencies (I am thinking me!), near a up-to-scratch medical centre
- Scuba diving for hubby (not a must but a high want!)
- Will travel in 10-day period anytime between 15 August - 2 September.

Am willing to consider anything at this stage. The few places I have seen in Greece that meet the above requirements are asking really stupid money! (Was quoted £16K for one place and not even all inclusive shock. For that money, we could fly to the moon and back really...) Also, what is the best way to get the best deals on hotels/flights? DH and I used to be very canny with our holiday arranagements and book everything online but it seems a lot bit trickier when it comes to child-friendly holidays. Argh!!!!!!

Thanks a million!

Ax

angel1976 Tue 19-May-09 09:57:08

Our budget was about £4K for the lot. Seemed a lot to begin with but I am starting to think differently now... Yeeks!

inscotland Tue 19-May-09 11:13:30

Well if you want good medical facilities on hand I am going to suggest may be Florida or California.

I've done both greek and turkish hospitals and believe me they are not good! Staff were excellent but just not good!

Dubai could also be good as you'd get diving, babysitting/creche and beach/pool all there too. You also won't have jetlag for Dubai.

When we book I check out BA holidays or Virgin holidays or a package price online. Once I have those I then check the prices by booking individually, ie with the airline and then the hotel and just get a taxi rather than waiting with 50 other people on a hot smelly coach. usually that comes out cheaper.

My recs would be to have a look at tripadvisor (once you know where you want to go) and places like travelocity and expedia.

For £4k (assuming that is you, hubby and 2 children) it could be do-able but if that budget includes inlaws you might struggle.

angel1976 Tue 19-May-09 11:22:03

Thanks inscotland, just to clarify, the £4K is for us two and one toddler (the other one is still baking!). Having mentioned Dubai, I have to say Egypt is starting to look appealing as well (only 5 hours and lots of diving for the hubby). Not sure how safe it is though? Thanks for your suggestions about checking package prices, then individually, will do so.

squeaver Tue 19-May-09 11:27:21

I highly recommend this place in mauritius. All the facilities of a 5 star hotel but you stay in superb apartments with kitchen, 2/3 bedrooms, huge living room etc. Best kids club ever, lots to do.

Friend of mine is going in August for the same price as she was quoted for a holiday in Greece. You can get good deals through most tour operators (we used Elegant Resorts, our friends are going with Scott Dunn)

inscotland Tue 19-May-09 12:45:34

I know people who have been to egypt and loved it and have returned and others who hated it. However, I reckon that can be said of anywhere. I'd go to Dubai over Egypt though.

MissSunny Tue 19-May-09 13:12:14

Message withdrawn

squeaver Tue 19-May-09 14:27:08

Sharm El Sheik is great for families but will be SO hot then.

I wouldn't go to Dubai if you paid me (do you want to go to a building site on holiday?) but have you thought about Oman - have heard good things about it.

angel1976 Tue 19-May-09 14:52:32

MissSunny - You will be surprised at what we actually can't get in Europe (especially Greece). We got told we were looking at £16k at this five-star place in Greece (who has that sort of money to burn right now?). Thanks for your warning about childcare. We don't intend to stick DS in the creche all day long but it would be nice for the odd hour or two, just so DH could go scuba diving or something and I could get a massage.

squeaver, inscotland - I have to say Sharm El Sheik is now looking likely as it isn't too far but seems like it has everything we need. I wonder if anyone has anywhere in particular to recommend for young children.

angel1976 Tue 19-May-09 14:53:24

Oh yes, I did have a look at Oman but it seemed like it's fairly limiting as to what you can do there?

KWoodie Wed 10-Jun-09 14:37:43

Have you taken at look at what Family Diving can offer - loads of holidays with childcare and diving as part of their criteria. Owners have been to all their destinations so really know their stuff. Holidays to Gozo - Malta, Sharm - Egypt, St Lucia, Tobago, Maldives etc - www.familydiving.co.uk

KatyMac Wed 10-Jun-09 14:46:43

Look at neilson

MissSunny Thu 11-Jun-09 23:33:17

Message withdrawn

MissSunny Thu 11-Jun-09 23:35:09

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now