Talk

Advanced search

London - hotels or B&Bs for dh

(13 Posts)
Prettybird Tue 03-May-05 09:12:55

Dh is going to be in London 16-18 May for part of his Master of Wine course and then a couple of days at the London Wine Fair. He is self-funding the course, so doesn't want to pay too much for accommodation - so I thought I'd ask Mumsnet for recommendations.

He needs somewhere in central London ideally - the London Wine Fair is at ExCEL exhibition centre. Somewhere a bit further out but still relatively easy to get to ExCEL I'm sure would also be OK.

The 16th is actually our wedding anniversary - but we'll be having to get up ultra early to get him to Glasgow airport for the 6 o'clock easyjet flight

Marina Tue 03-May-05 09:24:48

You could try the Express by Holiday in on Greenwich Peninsula, Prettybird. It's not that close to ExCel but easily reached by Jubilee/DLR from North Greenwich. I would guess it might be cheaper than a central London hotel.
There is a TravelLodge at the former County Hall in Westminster, but although good value it gets rather booked up.

Marina Tue 03-May-05 09:25:11

Durr, Inn. Holiday Inn.

Prettybird Tue 03-May-05 10:36:54

Thanks Marina.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I suspose we should also look at lastminute.co.uk - but it is nice to get recommendations.

Earlybird Tue 03-May-05 10:58:07

I've never stayed there, but have always read that the Windermere Hotel on Warwick Way (5 minutes walk from Victoria Station) is a good quality small hotel. I first read about it on the Time Out website.

Not sure if it is in a location that would suit, but transport links are good. Also seems that most any decent hotel in London will cost at least 100 pounds a night.

One other idea, I put a student friend up in a B&B I found via the Time Out website. She paid about 60 pounds a night. Good luck.

Pamina3 Tue 03-May-05 11:00:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Prettybird Tue 03-May-05 11:32:01

Thnaks Pamina3 and Earlybird. I'll also checkout the Time Out web site.

lapsedrunner Tue 03-May-05 13:40:45

Checkout www.ibishotel.com or wwwetaphotel.com, they are both part of the Accor hotels group. There is an Ibis at Excel, but probably booked up!

I have used both chains, Etap is the cheaper version but very good.

lapsedrunner Tue 03-May-05 13:41:59

Oh, and keep on running Prettybird

northerner Tue 03-May-05 13:53:27

Hi Prettybird, The Travelodge London Docklands are selling rooms on line for £85 for this period. It's only 1 mile away from excel.

What does your dh do for a job? Just I was in Scotland at a major resort a few weeks ago and was talking to someone who is doing teh master of wines course.

Prettybird Tue 03-May-05 14:17:22

Northerner - It wouldn't have been dh - he's not working at the moment. And he wasn't at a major resort a couple of weeks ago (but he was last week - Gleneagles on Wedensday followed by Turnbury on Friday )

There are two other Scots in dh's "year"; one is in the wine trade and the other is a lawyer (I think). Both names begin with D.

Lapsedrunner - I'll be recovering when he's down in London - the 10k is on the 15th!

northerner Tue 03-May-05 15:35:42

Just wondered. I was at Turnberry, and it was the somelier there who was doing it. It was fascinating to her all about it.

I didn't realise it was so in depth.

Prettybird Tue 03-May-05 16:14:56

He must be at a different stage. Don't think dh knows about him.

It really does go into great depth - dh is constantly researching things on the internet/in his (large) collection of wine books. He then despairs of getting it all into a 1,000 words. And once he's done it, he's then upset at getting a B+. (He did a Science degree and expects to be able to get 100% - I did an Arts degree and know an essay needs to be practically genius level before you get an A !)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now