Talk

Advanced search

Two weeks in Greece with our delicious 5 month old

(11 Posts)
SophieSkaterina Sun 01-May-05 10:32:47

Dearest Mumsnetters

I am beginning to draw up the list for Fred's first holiday! He will be five months old when we head off for two weeks s/c in Kefalonia (I am so excited that I am getting really annoying). I would really appreciate your top tips for things that really made your baby's holiday happy - suntan lotion wipes seems to one of them. He is a solely breast fed baby (though at 21 lbs already and only 14 weeks old -I am not sure how much longer he will hold out) so at least we won't have bottles etc to worry about - although perhaps we should take a couple just in case.

I would love your advice.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Sophie and Fred

alexsmum Sun 01-May-05 11:15:33

floppy sunhats, a canopy for the pram to keep the sun off, those little all in one rompers are fantastic-cool but covering.maybe one of those little tents for the beach -somewhere sheltered to sit and breastfeed.(although be careful because i have read that they can get very warm inside).we bought our baby a smashing little fan that clips onto the pram or cot and keeps him cool.we got it in mothercare, only about 10 pounds.(goes thorugh the batteries though!!)
and the reusable swim nappies are tons better than the disposable ones! hope this helps!
i'm equally exciyed about our trip to majorca in 4 weeks- can't wait!

SophieSkaterina Tue 03-May-05 09:26:25

Thank you so much Alexs mum. Really useful list and I will hot tail it to Mothercare shortly. I hope you have the most fantastic time in Majorca.. XX SOphie

HRHDuchessofPeahead Tue 03-May-05 09:38:52

top tip - keep a small thing of talcum powder in your beach bag. miraculous for removing sand which is encrusted onto his suncream-slathered body. just sprinkle with talc and it rubs off without giving him a deep exfoliation - ouch! particularly useful for sorting out feet before putting them back into shoes and also the nappy crevices which get so sandy...

gingerbear Tue 03-May-05 09:48:21

Will you be hiring a car?
Took DD to Spain when she was 3 months old. We took her car seat and checked it in as hold luggage as we were picking up a hire car at the airport. wrapped it in bubble wrap before we checked in at the airport, it was fine when we arrived.
I was worried about how she would react on the flight, but she either slept or breastfed the whole way.

I packed far too many outfits for her - just take romper suits (the ones with short sleeves and legs - not sleepsuits) and shorts and tees.

Proderm suncream mousse Factor 30 is not too greasy and easy to apply to a wriggly baby.

SophieSkaterina Tue 03-May-05 10:17:17

We will indeed be hiring a car - and possibly a boat at some stage too - if we deem it safe enough and can find a baby life jacket. We have been told by our tour operator that they will provide infant car seats - so I thought I would trust them - but perhaps I should take ours just in case - useful too for the transfer bus which I have been told will not have infant seats. What a brilliant tip re the talcum powder. Am also trying to work out which toys to take - difficult to predict which will exite him when he is 5 months - will it still be his favourite mobile and whoozit - or should we get him somehting new for the holiday that we unleash on him there?

HRHDuchessofPeahead Tue 03-May-05 11:37:29

wouldn't bring much re toys at 5 months. bring whatever normally lives in his cot (for familiarity), then a couple of board books and some stacking cups which are good for floor/bath/beach. he will be happy with a bucket and spade when he gets there

janinlondon Tue 03-May-05 13:28:04

Sophieskaterina - there are occasionally wasps in Kefalonia, so some baby insect repellant is a really good investment. Out there you will only find really heavy duty stuff that you probably won't want to put on Fred!

alexsmum Tue 03-May-05 13:38:16

so when are you going sophie?
majorca is going to be interesting-first time away since ds2 has been walking! can't see much relaxing happening, just lots of chasing around and stopping him falling in the pool!

mothercare have got the little rompers i was talking about, some sweet ones too.poor ds2 has to have all his big brothers old ones that i have dug out of the loft!

Blu Tue 03-May-05 13:38:50

I agree with Janinlondon - get some insect repellent from a herbal/wholefood type shop.

SophieSkaterina Tue 03-May-05 18:50:14

Thank you all again for these brilliant ideas. I shared them with my NCT group gathering (flapjacks and carrotcake and discussions on changing poo today) and all were delighted to know about stacking cups and talc. I will head off to Mothercare tomorrow for a lovely bit of baby retail therapy. We are off in June and I am so looking forward to it. We have been told that this is one holiday to really make the most of, before Fred starts charging around and we are in the same position as alexsmum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now