Talk

Advanced search

Do you reckon we'll be able to find a short break/long weekend self-catering in the summer hols?

(11 Posts)
spicemonster Sat 02-May-09 22:02:43

As far I can see (although admittedly I've not done masses of research) most self-catering places insist on a week minimum during the 'high' season. Has anyone ever tried to find a short break? Any recommendations?

Ta

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 03-May-09 18:45:17

This may be too far away for you (it's Very Far North) but it's gorgeous, very child-friendly (owner is registered CM) and has the best-equipped kitchen I've ever encountered in a self-catering place. It's currently showing summer availabilty.

(I'll also admit it's owned by friends of mine.)

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 03-May-09 19:50:44

And I've just looked a little more closely, and realised that actually they're pretty well booked up for most of the summer. (There's an availabilty page on the website). Sorry.

spicemonster Sun 03-May-09 21:28:11

Thanks anyway

Any other thoughts anyone? Do we have to go for a week?

Directskiandsun Mon 04-May-09 17:11:10

You'll find it difficult to find a short break or a weekend which stretches across two letting weeks (most start Sat or Sun)in July or August. Reason is the peak season is pretty short and owners want to get the most revenue they can in this period - they can't do that if they are left with days either side which are unlikely to be let. Sorry!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 05-May-09 14:12:32

Maybe if you wait till just before you want to go, you'll find something? Owners would be keen to have something rather than nothing, iyswim?

LadyMuck Tue 05-May-09 14:15:47

You have to wait until the last minute and take whatever would otherwise be left empty I'm afraid. Unless you want to consider a holiday park or Centreparcs.

Also I understand that due to the exchange rate many more families are expected to holiday in the UK this year, so there may not be much left.

spicemonster Wed 06-May-09 11:35:17

I fully understand that people want to rent for the whole week if they can. Don't blame them! Hmm - will have to see if we can come up with a plan ...

Thanks all

WorkInProgress Wed 06-May-09 11:43:16

We had this problem last year and ended up doing 2 weekends at Youth Hostels. It was good fun and a bit of an adventure. We couldn't get anything self catering even at the last minute and hotels if available were way too expensive.

liliputlady Thu 09-Jul-09 22:11:33

Sudeley Castle, Winchcombe Gloucestershire have self-catering cottages for long weekends or Mon- Friday. Quite dear if you book them well in advance, but you can often get last-minute deals for £175. It's a lovely area and you get free entry to castle and grounds.

Drayford Fri 10-Jul-09 15:22:21

When did you want to go - we've got some weekend availability this July and August because of odd changeovers!

Otherwise, try Independentcottages.co.uk and enter the dates you want - something might pop up as us independent cottage owners are often more flexible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now