Talk

Advanced search

Simply Travel - what a con!

(19 Posts)
MissChief Thu 28-Apr-05 14:20:37

rant, rant, rant - as heavily pregnant paid substantial amount to book supposedly "easier" option of all-inclusive hol for 3 of us with ST (now part of Thomson), rather than booking independently and therefore much more cheaply direct with airline & accom. Booked a while ago and even after several lengthy calls to bored staff in call centre promising will send out today Ms X, STILL not received confirmation of booking, tickets, details of upgrades - anything! The latest person I spoke said "sorry for the wee problem"
(guess where she's based!) - no it's not a matter of life or death but don't they believe in customer service in that company??

Am now doubtful of what hol will be like - had wanted relaxing hol with ds, dh. Anyone else used them recently? If so, was it also a nightmare or have we been unlucky?

FLUM Thu 28-Apr-05 14:36:52

They have a pretty good reputation in the industry. You may have been unlucky.

MissChief Thu 28-Apr-05 15:01:10

maybe it's due to takeover - I'd booked with ST due to their good rep, now not so sure.

CountessDracula Thu 28-Apr-05 15:02:52

I am having probs changing an aspect of my booking. Can never get through and when I do they say it is wrong dept, give me another number and then that doesn't answer

FLUM Thu 28-Apr-05 15:05:59

didn't read, part of Thomson, may have lost their own 'personality' then

MissChief Thu 28-Apr-05 15:08:17

so familiar CD! Surely I must have spoken to all their staff by now who all reassure me in their "wee" Scots accent w/o exception, on script how they are sorry, how they'll send something out today. Otherwise,it's like you say I need to speak to someone on a different floor (yet they can't put me through/go up there themselves) -then it's onto a new number, waiting to get through and being put on hold.
They currently deny they are even able to send me a brochure as it comes from a different office and wouldn't be able to guarantee its arrival. WTF?

CountessDracula Thu 28-Apr-05 15:18:11

Am on phone to them, now they tell me that one thing I requested has not been booked. They are truly shite.

I have never gone on a package holiday before - I can't believe what a pain it is organising it!

MissChief Thu 28-Apr-05 15:23:25

IKWYM - never again, next time good old google & expedia - save the money & the hassle...

MissChief Fri 29-Apr-05 10:03:19

Oh the joys, am currently on hold again with ST - as still no docs (we go in a week) - still passed from pillar to post, oh..now seems they've hung up on me after I've been waiting an answer for 3 mins then on hold for 6 - what truly amazing customer service & value for money!

bakedpotato Fri 29-Apr-05 10:05:58

used them a few years ago, no probs, sad they've gone downhill

MissChief Fri 29-Apr-05 10:15:58

seems to be state of disorganised chaos between ST hotline/office which seems sort of to still exist, who knows in what capacity and the mammoth Thomson call centre who now take the bookings. Each blames the other for stuff not getting sent out - no thought of taking responsibility from anyone so far..

Snips Fri 29-Apr-05 10:24:21

We have used them several times (last time last Sep) and they have always been really good. Sorry to hear this has happened. Thought it might when they were sold off...they've probably lost the personal touch. Will definitely put me off using them again.

Hope you get sorted out soon without too much more stress.

MissChief Fri 29-Apr-05 10:31:28

thanks, just hope the hol itself is worth it!

valleygirl Sat 30-Apr-05 15:52:45

Thomson's took Simply Travel over several years ago actually, but this year Thomson's decided to change over all the Simply Reservations system over to the Thomson's one - so all documentation and confirmation invoices are now centralised. i work in the travel industry and have been booking simply for 7 years, and until this year i would not have hesitated usign them. however since January every single confirmation invoice i have received since the change over is wrong - costings all over the place, names wrong, etc, etc. To be honest the Simply staff are not to blame - Thomson's either got rid of all the experienced staff, or those who's been there long term quit to go elsewhere. I have conversations with this guy at simply turkey who is so helpful but is so dispirited. this si what happen when small companies get swallowed by the giants - any consideration for standards, customer service and product out the wondow. apparantly this year all cliants are met by bog-standard Thomsons reps, not Simply's. just imagine what is to come at the Simply creches?!
anyway, my advice, book through a travel agent, then the headache is ours not yours!!

ps i'm going to tamarisk beach in Turkey this year myself - bad timing maybe?!!

CountessDracula Sat 30-Apr-05 19:14:24

valleygirl so are we! When are you going?

valleygirl Tue 03-May-05 13:30:18

27th august for a week. that's long enough with my step-sons!!! how about you?

Fimbo Tue 03-May-05 13:32:51

We Scots are not all bad honest!!

Heathcliffscathy Tue 03-May-05 13:35:27

god, we're going to crete with them in a week...tbh, i've had no problem, altho my confirmation took ages to come through. i've even been able to specify which apartment number, and phoned up last week to find out if i could get goats milk for ds, and they phoned back that day and told me which supermarket nearby stocks it...

i've been told that on the ground (in crete at least) for this year the staff are exactly the same...i hope so

Willow2 Wed 04-May-05 09:59:09

Have travelled with them three times - this will be our fourth year... and the first that Thomson has been responsible for the centralised booking system and website. It's also the first year that we have booked a holiday with them only to be called a few weeks later to be told, "Sorry, computer muck up, you don't have a holiday." That said, they have finally come through with an alternative arrangement that means we will be going to Lefkas - as planned - but swapping from one of the little villas to a stonking one half way through. So a bit of hassle for us, but should be a giggle.

The original staff are really unhappy with what's been going on and are working hard to try and sort out problems. I just hope that Thomson realise what they are doing to the "Simply" brand and stop before there's nothing left to shout about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now