Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

travel insurance for over 32 weeks pg

(7 Posts)
brandonmum Wed 27-Apr-05 12:37:59

hi everyone

Im going on holiday in 2 weeks time to corfu and having great difficulty in obtaining travel insurance. I turn 32 weeks on the day I fly home from corfu. I have tried for weeks now, every search engine on the internet, emailed half of the country's insurance companies and telephoned the rest. I have even tried medical insurance who would cover me if i had a pregnancy related illness but not to fly at 32weeks in good health.

Ive got my medical certificate to say im well from the doctor but no insurance!!

I dont want to risk travelling with just my E111 form incase its not enough cover.

Surely if holiday firms are prepared to let you fly up until 36 weeks someone must insure you, if so the holiday firms dont seem to know of any!

Can anyone help?

Suffering nervous exhaustion!
Laura x

tribpot Wed 27-Apr-05 12:57:24

Hi Laura,

I haven't found any travel insurance post 32 weeks. The subject was discussed recently in Travel. I know Scraggy is off on holiday with just her E111, personally I wouldn't take that chance given the costs which aren't covered by it (Some info here )

However, I've insured with Trailfinders and their policy says they exclude claims:

"arising out of pregnancy or childbirth ... if
expecting to give birth within 8 weeks of completing a journey insured hereunder."

Given you're flying home on 32 + 0 days, I reckon you could technically argue that is 8 weeks + 1 day before you are expecting to give birth. (My maths is quite rusty though, see what you think).

I do find it quite weird that you can fly up to 36 weeks but can't get insurance after 32.

Hope this helps.

Em32 Wed 27-Apr-05 14:02:42

I had this problem as will be travelling to the South of France when 28 weeks pregnant. I'm now insured with the Post Office so after having the same problems as you found someone who would do it at last ! Not sure how far they will insure you up to but I think they would definitely be worth a try (they have a web page).

tribpot Wed 27-Apr-05 19:27:59

Em32, Post Office is the same, up to week 32 (or "eight weeks before due date").

Hope you have a lovely holiday in France!

maretta Wed 27-Apr-05 19:55:40

I think most polcies do insure you after 7 months but not for accidents/incidents caused directly or indirectly by pregnancy. You'd have to check the small print.

I'm sure many mishaps could be argued as being caused indirectly by pregnancy - especially if my current utter clumsiness in anything to go by .

Would be interested to hear how you get on. I'm off to France when I'm 34 and 35 weeks. My midwife, who is famous for her over reactions wasn't in the least bit concerned about me going but didn't mention insurance.

Em32 Thu 28-Apr-05 12:39:19

Maretta
Just to let you know most insurance companies definitely don't insure you up to 7 months, I found they wouldn't insure me unless I was returning within the sixth month (that is except for the Post Office). It is a pain that they won't insure you post 32 weeks so sorry for others travelling post then, but useful to know... My friend travelled at an even later stage than you will be, just on her E111 (but then she is a doctor herself so I guess knew the risks she was taking) Will let you know how I get on! Emily x

franch Tue 28-Jun-05 14:23:52

Doesn't exist. See British Insurance Brokers Assocn website : "You won't get cover if you have been advised against travelling, are within the last two months of pregnancy, or are travelling to obtain medical treatment abroad." So that's that. I'm flying to the US at 33w

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now