Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hotels in London

(18 Posts)
Waswondering Wed 27-Apr-05 11:45:05

DH is murmuring about taking me to London for the weekend later in the year. Just the two of us. Probably as a thank you to me for being such a great wife . . .

Any suggestions of where to stay that isn't a Travel Lodge? Something with a bit of character, and memorable, but that won't require a second mortgage?

Iklboo Wed 27-Apr-05 11:50:52

Hiya. I work as a Visits Co-Ordonator (sounds posh - isn't) and use sites like this quite a lot for booking hotels:-

http://www.hoteldirect.co.uk/london

You can get some very good deals. 'Fraid I only get to book more corporate type hotels, but I know there are some V nice ones out there for not a great deal of money. Hope this helps.
Tracy

FLUM Wed 27-Apr-05 11:52:15

Durrants is nice. Depending on size of your mortgage it may require one

Earlybird Wed 27-Apr-05 11:56:31

Do you have any idea what area you'd like to be in? Also, do you prefer quaint/cozy, grand, modern and sleek?

Waswondering Wed 27-Apr-05 12:04:04

Central London (we don't know London at all well). Something sumptuous? That makes us feel very spoiled. We're hoping to take in a couple of galleries, museums, London Eye, Hamleys while we're there, and maybe a show. Maybe (not really his thing!!). Maybe mid September?

FLUM Wed 27-Apr-05 12:16:40

Hamleys! Are you mad!

Stay well away from there, that place is mental!

Waswondering Wed 27-Apr-05 12:18:20

Really? But thought we had to go there to assuage any guilt about leaving ds behind . . .

Waswondering Wed 27-Apr-05 15:47:00

Any other suggestions?

CountessDracula Wed 27-Apr-05 15:50:01

How about the new Malmaison in Clerkenwell?
here

helsy Wed 27-Apr-05 18:03:04

Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington is fab - supperbreak do deals - we got an upgrade because it was Dh's birthday.

helsy Wed 27-Apr-05 18:03:56

or even superbreaks...

WideWebWitch Wed 27-Apr-05 18:05:14

The Hempel?

WideWebWitch Wed 27-Apr-05 18:06:26

Sanderson?

WideWebWitch Wed 27-Apr-05 18:08:22

Threadneedles

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 11:45:05

I second the hempel, I love the atmostphere and the restaurant I-thai downstairs, although is expensive but quite an experience. Fusion of italian/japanese and thai, V unusual.

Lunch at the terrace in the store Fortnum and masons is nice for a traditional atmostphere.

Or theres the Feng Shui hotel MyHotel in bloomsbury. MyHotel . Great site for comparing prices and differemt styles of hotels.

Or the one aldwych one aldwych . They have a lovely restaurant looking over the bar\reception and its won several awards for its type of hotel.

There are soooo many amazing little places , its hard to choose!!

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 11:47:48

ooops faux pas, the Fortnums restaurant is The Patio !!! Their cesear salad is amazing!!!

soapbox Thu 28-Apr-05 12:14:20

I'll let you into my little London secret place. It is small - only 3 rooms - but what a place.

The hotel is above a restuarant East@west on a quiet road just off Cambridge Circus (so hardly possible to find anything more central) - it is on the same road as The Ivy so you can celebrity watch too!

The restaurant is lovely but the hotel rooms are to die for - not chirpy cheap cheap - but fantastic space for your money!

Check it out - you won't be disappointed!

click on west street hotel on LHS menu

Waswondering Sun 10-Jul-05 09:57:20

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions - especially to Iklboo for the hotel-direct link. We finally booked yesterday (after deciding that a weekend in London would still be fab despite Thursday's dreadful news [but DH and I both grew up in NI in the 70s, so hey!]). We've booked into 'Montague on the Gardens' near Covent Garden and the British Museum - so hopefully it will be brilliant. Looking forward to a lovely weekend just the two of us. Really pleased to have a "boutique" hotel.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now