Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Holiday Buggy help required!

(17 Posts)
Gillian76 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:44:11

We are going on holiday to Lake Garda in July. I have a couple of questions regarding taking a buggy on the flight...

1) Is the buggy included in the baggage allowance? (hope not, cos we're flying with Ryanair - 15kg allowance!)

2) Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight buggy that won't blow the holiday budget?

Thanks

essbee Tue 26-Apr-05 20:45:53

Message withdrawn

Nemo1977 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:45:55

Buggy isnt included as allowance on most airlines. And cheap one we got purely for hols was a bruin stroller was about 20 ish pound from toys r us.

mckenzie Tue 26-Apr-05 20:47:23

I don't think it's included Gillian76. Dont you know anyone who can lend you a buggy? Where do you live? You can borrow my 'holiday' buggy.
It actually used to belong to Easyjet! They lent it to us while they took ours away to assess the damage that they had caused and forgot to ask for it back when they delivered the replacement one!

Gillian76 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:48:05

Thanks essbee, but I'm near Glasgow!

franke Tue 26-Apr-05 20:50:24

Definitely not included in baggage allowance with Ryanair and you can take it to the plane through the boarding gate if you need to - they usually put it back on the tarmac for you when you disembark (but not always - sometimes turns up on the carousel with the other luggage).

Ryanair are great - all families with small children are boarded first before everyone else so you get first pick of seats.

Fran1 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:54:42

I've got the maclaren volo about £40 i think. Doesn't come with rain cover etc but you wouldn't need that anyway !

The seat is a great mesh material designed to stop them sweating. Its very light and has a handle to carry over shoulder.

I bought the rain cover pack for another £29 and it comes with a hood, raincover and seat cushion which is good for winter weather!

Flying - when you go to the gate, they take it from you and put it in the baggage section, then collect it from the carousel at the other end.
Have a good holiday!

franke Tue 26-Apr-05 20:56:27

You can take car seats for free too if you need to (i.e. if you're hiring a car)

Aimsmum Tue 26-Apr-05 21:00:47

Message withdrawn

LIZS Tue 26-Apr-05 21:11:21

Whereabouts are you staying ? Do bear in mind that some of the lakeside towns have cobbled streets so you may want to have a little "give" in the buggy suspension, rather than a very basic one. Also it can be hot and sunny so you may want some sort of canopy or sunshade. How old is your child and does he/she still nap in which case you may want a reclining and/or padded seat.

Gillian76 Tue 26-Apr-05 21:25:05

Thanks for all your messages. Amismum, it is a little boy!

He's nearly 2 and his current buggy is a bit the worse for wear. We have been thinking about getting a new one, but worried about spending a fortune and it getting bashed about or even lost by the airline.

He doesn't tend to nap any more, although I don't know how the heat will affect him?

We are staying in a Keycamp site somewhere on the western shore of the Lake. I think the nearest town is San Felice.

franke Tue 26-Apr-05 21:31:23

If you take the buggy to the gate and leave at the bottom of the stairs where you board the plane, they won't lose it - they load it straight into the hold. Mind you having said that, I do always have a fear of looking out of the window when we're taxi-ing and seeing our lonely looking buggy sitting there on the tarmac, forgotten

Aimsmum Tue 26-Apr-05 21:32:04

Message withdrawn

kikidee Thu 28-Apr-05 18:53:16

Hi Gillian76
I have just bought a Maclaren Quest for our holiday in June after huge amounts of research. It was £80 from the Pram Centre. It's about 5kgs I think so it's not as heavy as a Techno but it's not a light as a Volo. My ds is just one so i wanted something that reclines so he can sleep and the Volo didn't look quite substantial enought.
Hope this helps.

Frenchy72 Wed 04-May-05 13:54:20

Have you tried a a second-hand one from Ebay?

Seona1973 Thu 05-May-05 13:16:55

I just bought a Chicco Caddy buggy from theBaby Equipment Complete website for £39.99. It has a sun canopy and has 2 seat positions. It is lightweight at 5.5kgs and somes with a rainshield too. They have a similar one in Argos (in red) for the same price but as my sister already has that one, I wanted something different!! here is a link to it.

Seona1973 Thu 05-May-05 13:20:07

sorry, here is a link to the website I used to buy mine. The last link was to the one sold in Argos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now