Talk

Advanced search

Question for those with kids with US passports

(8 Posts)
Blondeinlondon Mon 25-Apr-05 20:38:58

Hello

I am intending to travel to the US later this year to visit the inlaws. I have a British passport and DS should by then have his US and British passports.

I know DS will need to enter and leave the US on his US passport.
Am I likely to encounter any problems with passport control leaving the US if I don't have DH with me?

Thanks

FIMAC1 Mon 25-Apr-05 20:49:40

Would your son not be able to enter and leave the US on his UK passport? My dd has both as she was born there and we always went on the same passports as she would have had to que in a different line otherwise...

Blondeinlondon Mon 25-Apr-05 20:56:00

Yes he could but according to the embassy website you're not supposed to do that

zebraX Wed 04-May-05 21:01:52

Yeah, don't do it, BlondeinLondon (enter & leave the US on a non-US passport, I mean). If he's got a US passport, he's got to use it... in theory, huge criminal penalties, otherwise.

It wouldn't hurt for you to carry some bit of paper to prove he's your DS (like a birth certificate...) but I really doubt you'd be stopped or anything. How old is your DS?

Caribbeanqueen Wed 04-May-05 21:03:41

Agree with zebra. Dd has a US passport and had to use it to enter USA recently.

Caribbeanqueen Wed 04-May-05 21:04:28

Soory, meant to add you should have no problems entering or leaving.

frogs Wed 04-May-05 21:08:08

No experience of US here, but I have a non-UK EU passport, my kids have British passports, and have dh's surname (I have kept my own). I have found it useful to carry the long birth certificates with me when I travel, as some countries (Germany and Switzerland particularly) get a bit arsey about believing the kids are actually mine. (The fact that they all look like little clones of me is, apparently, neither here nor there).

Janh Wed 04-May-05 21:15:17

DD1 (now 23) has a US passport and we are both British but we only travelled all together when she was tiny, so prob. not v helpful.

However, IIRC we did use her US passport whenever we left or re-entered, even though we only had GB ones and went through the aliens [wierd eyes emoticon] channel. (They never removed her for her own protection anyway.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now