Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Child friendly Amsterdam??

(8 Posts)
Hattie2 Fri 22-Apr-05 12:44:24

Hi - can anyone recommend any child friendly hotels and/or restaurants in Amsterdam?

Fimbo Fri 22-Apr-05 13:05:58

Hi we went to Amsterdam when my dd was three. The Hard Rock Cafe does a children's menu here
There is also a Wagamamas near the HRC as well.
We never really found much else, but most of the museums have quite nice cafes i.e. Anne Franke House and Van Gogh Museum, and of course they do have McDonalds and Burger King!! Will look for our hotel and do a link.

sorrel Fri 22-Apr-05 13:07:04

Hi hattie, DD was born in Amsterdam so have a bit of previous on this subject.Most places in Holland are child frindly- even pubs- although they an be a bit smoky for my taste. There is a pancake restaurant on Prinsengracht just down from Annefrankhuis, which is handy if you are in the area. Pancakes are massive with savoury and sweet fillings
http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo/Netherlands/amsterdam.htm and it is much beloved by families:
We stayed in a houseboat recently which was just brilliant and so central. DD loved it and it meant we could do our own food and have a tv as required. we had two bed room one through citymundo.com. Much better than a hotel and right on the Prinsengracht.

Fimbo Fri 22-Apr-05 13:13:39

this is where we stayed

Most hotels offer continental style breakfast, so you can pick & choose for the kids. We had a massive room with a double bed and a single for dd and stayed for a week. My dd had a brilliant time, I don't know if you know much about Amsterdam but they have a brilliant zoo, Vondel Park has a lovely playarea behind the Milk Bar for kids. If you do go to Vondel Park there is lots of sand for the kids to play with, so I would advise you to take wellies and a bucket and spade as we turned Amsterdam upside down looking for them!!! HTH

laneydaye Fri 22-Apr-05 13:26:34

jet2.com flights to amsterdam returns all inc tax just 37 pounds......
sent me an emai9l the other day

sorrel Fri 22-Apr-05 13:50:48

If you are shopping on Kalverstraat-main shopping drag, there is a a great self service place called
La Place opposite HEMA dept store( at the Singel end of Kalverstraat)You just take a tray and choose what you want from hot/ cold buffet.Juice bar and sandwiches, pastries,pasta, fresh pizza slice et. More seating upstairs.( Good place to use the loo as well)

mumoftreasures Tue 26-Apr-05 22:45:04

Depending on the age of your children, the Amsterdam Historic Museum is good fun for children too. Quite interactive displays. Vondelpark and Artis (Zoo) are sure winners too. And children are allowed in pubs, (not that there will be many in them, but you won't be sent away). Most department stores (HEMA, V&D, Bijenkorf)have restaurants as well, with good choice of good value food and high chairs etc, although it will be a shame to miss out on all those lovely little restaurants/lunchrooms. Hope you'll have fun!

zippy539 Tue 26-Apr-05 23:01:36

Check out Tun Fun (sp?) as well. It's a big play area built in an old under-pass. The zoo is great too.

We stayed in a houseboat last year and it was great - going back this year. I LOVE Amsterdam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now