Talk

Advanced search

our round the world adventure starts in 11 days. OMG

(58 Posts)
nappybaglady Thu 21-Apr-05 13:47:03

I posted a while back asking for advice about travelling around the world with our 2 small children - dd is 4y and ds is 19m. As usual MN came up with loads of useful advice. I'm not sure how do do a link but if anyone is interested do an archive search on my name in the travel section

Unfortunately I haven't been a very active MNer recently. As you can imagine things have been a bit busy here as we try to sort our lives out before we go.

Now I'm sitting typing with butterflies in my tummy. WE'RE GOING A WEEK ON MONDAY.

I finished work last weeek so have a few days to do stuff while the kids are at nursery. Today I'm trying to pack a 'capsule' wardrobe for all of us to cover beaches and mountains and hotels and camping and winter and summer - all to fit in 2 bags. OMG OMGOMGomg.....

I'm excited and terrified. Really shouldn't be on Mn at all - so much to do - but a few people mentioned that they would be watching the old thread so I thought I'd better update.

Don't know what else to say just now (head in a spin)so I'll pop back later if I can string a sentence together.

OMG OMG OMG OMG

MissChief Thu 21-Apr-05 13:50:30

congratulations! good for you, always been my dream to do this esp as parents took me off to darkest africa when I was a young child - and I have life-long memories of the experience, tho so small.
haven't got any advice but just my best wishes to give and would love to be able to follow what you're up to every now & then - travels from my armchair and all that.

slim22 Thu 21-Apr-05 14:01:15

Hi,
Just read old thread and I'm terribly exited for you!!!!!
Don't forget your camera and a notebook + crayons so your little ones can keep a journal. Will be great to show them when they are older!
Wish you well

notmyself Thu 21-Apr-05 14:19:07

Fantastic! How long are you going and where are you off to?

nappybaglady Thu 21-Apr-05 15:51:16

We are going to New York, Toronto, Canadian Rockies, San Francisco, New Zealand, Australia and Singapore. Round the world in 86 days.

Still can't quite believe that little old me is doing this. It's really not the sort of thing I normally do.

Back to the packing...

noddyholder Thu 21-Apr-05 15:54:20

I am so jealous travelled round the world in 1989/1990 but not with present dp and had no little ones You are really brave but I think people travelling aswell will help you no end Would love to do it again.........

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 21-Apr-05 15:56:34

Wow!

What a fantastic experience for you and especially your children.

Have a wonderful time.

wilbur Thu 21-Apr-05 15:59:03

How fabulous! Good luck and do post a few updates. We really want to do something like this when the children are a little older, I think it's a wonderful thing to share an experience like that in a family. Wow - you're going to have sooo many photos of your kids in cool places. Canadian Rockies are amazing - I went hiking there years ago and still love the memory of it. Have a wonderful, wonderful time.

Marina Thu 21-Apr-05 16:00:01

Can you post some updates en route? Have the most wonderful time

MrsWednesday Thu 21-Apr-05 16:18:15

Oh yes, please post updates! I'm so . Wish I had the guts to do the same.

Hope you all have a wonderful, amazing, fantastic time.

nappybaglady Thu 21-Apr-05 16:32:51

Thanks for all the lovely messages. Will hopefully do some updates while travelling. DH is the tech-wizard in this house so we'll certainly have some internet access.

got to go get kids

eidsvold Thu 21-Apr-05 23:32:10

definitely do a journal. We always did that - even if we only jotted down where we had been that day to try and remind us what we had done and where we had been. Kept tickets, brochures etc - then when home glued it into the journal.

have a fab time.

bossykate Thu 21-Apr-05 23:34:40

wow! bon voyage, have a wonderful time!

Frizbe Thu 21-Apr-05 23:45:03

How fantastic, hope you all have a great time, keep us all updated!

jenkel Fri 22-Apr-05 00:05:39

Hope everything goes well, sure you will have a fantastic time. We have just come back from Australia and NZ with a 2 year old and 8 month old, so small fry compared to what you are doing. Hard work but so so worth it.

nappybaglady Sun 01-May-05 20:29:25

thanks for all the messages of support and help.

We are setting off tomorrow morning. It's unlikely that I'll log on to MN very often but if you're interested you can track us here . My techy DH will be updating this regularly.

Yikes...

JanH Sun 01-May-05 20:46:38

OOOOOOOOH, nbl, thanks so much for the blog link - loads of luck to you all, hope it's as fab as it should be

Lovely photo, DS looks slightly worried though (as well he might!)

Newbarnsleygirl Sun 01-May-05 20:48:18

Good luck you lucky things

Hope you all have a brilliant time.

snafu Sun 01-May-05 20:52:19

Wowowowowowowowow you lucky things! How exciting! I remember your thread asking for info - it's so great that you're actually doing it. Have an absolutely fabulous time

ghosty Sun 01-May-05 20:53:11

nappybaglady ... how exciting!
If you would like to meet up in Auckland feel free to contact me ... email is ghostyandmeg(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz ... or if you have any problems with anything (need picking up from airport and taking to hotel etc) just drop me a line ... I'd be happy to help!
ghosty xx

nikcola Sun 01-May-05 20:53:16

good luck and have fun {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

nappybaglady Sun 01-May-05 21:00:04

ghosty, didn't realise you were in Auck. Still need to book some stuff there (little things like flights and accommodation) but need to do a bit more reading first. Have taken down your email although hands are almost shaking too much to write

Will be unplugging the PC v soon but will check in again somewhere along the way

[nervous and wobbly icon]

RTKangaMummy Sun 01-May-05 22:25:14

bon voyage nappybaglady and co.

will be thinking of you

Thanks for posting on other thread

emmatmg Sun 01-May-05 22:33:53

Absolutley fantastic!

I expect you've un plugged now but I hope you all have a wonderful time.

I really am green with envy.........the little icon seems totally inadequate!

nappybaglady Wed 18-May-05 04:05:19

Hi to anyone who has been watching the thread and especially anyone who's following the blog. I'm in Canmore in the Canadian Rockies and it's about 9pm here. We are having a fantastic time. today is day 16. Only another 70 to go

The kids are amazing. They have adapted much better than I hoped. DS seems to be saying about 3 new words every day. DD - a picky eater- has been trying loads of new foods.

The trip got off to a bad start. Our first flight was delayed so we missed our flight to New York. it was a bit of a blow at the time but worked out well in the end because the later flight was so quiet that we had 8 seats between 4 of us. The children just stretched out and slept most of the way.

New York was great - busy and noisy but so entertaining. We had a few days in Ontario visiting relatives and now we're in the Rockies staying with some good friends who have children of a similar age to ours. I'm gazing at snowcapped mountains as I type...

We've taken loads of photos and DH is keeping a weblog diary.

Thank you to all of you who sent messages of encouragement before we went. You were right - we are having a great time

I'll try to pop in from time to time although I'm 7h behind you at the mo so will probably miss all the chat

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: