Talk

Advanced search

Travellers Cheques

(4 Posts)
Linnet Thu 21-Apr-05 10:38:55

We're going to FLorida in October. I'd like to start buying some Travellers cheques now and throughout the year so I can take advantage of the good exchange rate.

Does anyone know if you can just walk into a travel agent and buy travellers cheques there and then or do they have to order them in?
If they have to be ordered do you get the rate of exchange that is available on the day that they are ordered?

Linnet Thu 21-Apr-05 10:53:01

Anyone?

MandM Thu 21-Apr-05 11:27:41

I think I'm right in saying that you can buy them in Dollars or Sterling. I don't know what the exchange rates are like at the moment but you could probably ask their advise as to which is the best to go for at the moment.

Most big travel agents and larger post offices have them in ready to buy.

If you're buying them at different times, don't forget to start a list of your different serial numbers in case of loss/theft etc, as they won't all follow on in sequence like they do when you buy them in one block.

nappybaglady Thu 21-Apr-05 19:20:18

Have a look on moneysavingexpert.com for the cheapest way to spend money abroad. What you gain in the good exchange rate you may lose in commision if you buy in the wrong place. We're about to go on a long trip abroad so we've opened a new bank account with nationwide because it doesn't charge any transaction fee or commission on the debit card. Traveller's cheques would have cost a fortune for us. The website I mentioned gives an overview of it all. Sorry I can't link but try looking at the travel section in, I think, money saving articles or reviews

Have a great hol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now