Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Sharm El Sheikh - opinions please...

(24 Posts)
TheVillageIdiot Wed 20-Apr-05 15:03:47

I want: good food, good wine, few children, nice surrounding, clean beach, swish hotel

He wants: good watersports, fast flowing beer, nightlife

I think Sharm El Sheikh might be a good plan and I've heard it's very nice. Has anyone been, what did you think of the place? would it meet either/both our wants?

Just any opinions would be great!! TIA

TheVillageIdiot Wed 20-Apr-05 15:17:46

anyone?? I'm all excited and want to book!

gingerbear Wed 20-Apr-05 15:20:36

Look here for info on Sharm
I have been but it was 8 years ago - I took my Advanced Diving Cert there, stayed at Dive resort, not swish hotel.
Food was OK, not brilliant.
Wine was sweet Egyptian.
Not much to do for kids.
Naama Bay Beach got very crowded.

TheVillageIdiot Wed 20-Apr-05 15:29:59

not taking no kids!

TheVillageIdiot Wed 20-Apr-05 16:25:04

Wow loads of threads then, will look through those later. Does anyone know what the night life is like?

bluesky Wed 20-Apr-05 17:42:13

lots of night life, so if you don't mind the noise and buzz there are loads of hotels. But further along the bay there are some fab hotels. Cheap taxi ride into the centre. Hyatt Regency is lovely, beach, diving, several restaurants, spa if you fancy it, and in it's own bay so you feel tucked away from the main buzz of Sharm. Great pools. Wonderful staff. Airport really close to all of hotels. The breakfasts there were the BEST I have had anywhere, the choice was out of this world. Can you tell we're probably going back!!

TheVillageIdiot Wed 20-Apr-05 19:07:48

Hey Bluesky - you've sold me on it!

I ws looking at the 4* holiday inn resort. There was another too but can't think what it was called.

bluesky Wed 20-Apr-05 20:02:01

!! We can SOOO recommend it. Update this board if you go and what you think etc.

Enid Wed 20-Apr-05 20:03:57

I met dh there nearly 11 years ago and it was gorgeous - i think its very swish now.

We used to sit next to each other at dive school then eat falafels in Tam tams <<sigh, nostalgic emoticon>>

gingerbear Wed 20-Apr-05 21:27:50

Oh, I remember Tam Tam's felafels Enid. Yum.

TheVillageIdiot Thu 21-Apr-05 08:30:14

Oh you guys - I have my heart set on the place. I sooo want DP to say we can go

Enid Thu 21-Apr-05 08:58:14

do you remember the pickled veg you got on the side and the rice pudding made with rosewater (spelt rice budding on the menu) god it was sooooooooooooo good.

We went on a liveaboard for a week and the food we had on that boat was some of the best I have ever had, fish caught that day, flat breads, cucumber and tomato salads with that thin garlicy dressing....<<aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgh... in homer style>>

gingerbear Thu 21-Apr-05 19:13:39

yep, remember the pickles.
Agree with scrummy livaboard food, but must be cos of increased appetite when diving. Can't recall good meal on land though.

TheVillageIdiot Thu 21-Apr-05 19:16:20

He still hasn't told me whether or not he's looked at it I wanna go!

gingerbear Thu 21-Apr-05 19:17:45

just book it - you know you want to! tell him how wonderful we think it is.

TheVillageIdiot Thu 21-Apr-05 19:25:05

I can't cos he has to ok the time off with his dad [sa]d

Willow2 Wed 11-May-05 20:39:33

We are off in two weeks - any tips?

beetroot Wed 11-May-05 20:43:37

Message withdrawn

Willow2 Wed 11-May-05 20:47:46

yes - but for some reason I dont have you on my list. Have you got my email to hand - whack me on and lets have a natter.

Willow2 Wed 11-May-05 20:50:57

Beet - I've added your 1234 one - is that the correct one?

beetroot Wed 11-May-05 20:59:17

Message withdrawn

valleygirl Thu 12-May-05 12:19:50

try the Oberoi in Hughada - the Sahl Hasheesh
http://www.oberoihotels.com
very upmarket, not particularly geared for kids, best hotel on Red Sea.

charter flight from LGW go on Fridays.
otherwise you could also try the Four Seasons in Sharm, or the Regency Rooms at thw Hyatt, where you have use of the pool reserved only for Regency Guests.
i heard the main pool is always surrounded by rich, brash Russian businessmen and their prostitutes!

Willow2 Thu 12-May-05 18:46:35

bump

ChaCha Tue 17-May-05 20:51:38

Sharm el Sheikh is great, I used to go frequently and when i was younger visit Dahab and Taba too. There are some great restaurants in Sharm and apparently thriving nightlife nowadays. I wouldn't expect it's somewhere you'd go to taste Egyptian culture but more of a resort pretty much like anywhere else - just more beautiful maybe. You should definitely dive/snorkel and make a trip to Sinai, at sunset would be perfect, St.Catherine is gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now