Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

has anyone been on an organised family adventure holiday?

(10 Posts)
elliott Wed 20-Apr-05 09:22:30

For example like this
Any views or comments? I've got a yearning to start doing some 'proper' travel and wondering about next summer when ds's will be 2 and 4. a bit early I know but its the last time we'll be free of school holidays and I am dreaming about the possibilities...

elliott Thu 21-Apr-05 09:22:52

I guess that's a no then

MissChief Thu 21-Apr-05 13:26:27

would love to! checked out I think explore, exodus, the usual ones and I think one or both of them do but min age at least 5 tho if you look at indiv trips often specify much older.

guess it's something you could always do yourself independently.

andyc Thu 05-May-05 11:48:30

Hi,
I run a site called Take the Family. Just to let you know that the Adventure Company have a fine programme of infant adventures - to Turkey, Morocco and Finland catering to 1-5 year olds. Could be right for you?
Andy

worriedfriend Thu 05-May-05 11:50:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marina Thu 05-May-05 11:55:42

That sounds interesting Andy
Elliott, good for you. We dither about doing one of those summer Alps adventure thingies but basically all we really like doing is walking and swimming as a family. Bit nesh for canoeing, canyoning or anything ruff like that...

valleygirl Thu 05-May-05 18:00:45

nothing stopping you contacting a good independent travel agency who can tailor make the perfect family holiday for you - for example i've got a family with 2 kids (9 and 4) going to Sri Lanka in August, where they will travel around independantly with their own car and driver. Sri Lanka is a great place for families and the best thing is that you can go there during August. It's relatively very cheap too, and it's so important to start encouraging tourists to return there. Similarly i arranged a family holiday for a family of 6 (kids were 11, 10, 8 and 6) to Costa Rica in April and they had the best holiday they've ever been on. So it doesn't have to be with Explore, Adventure Company, etc to be a great family adventure.

FIMAC1 Fri 06-May-05 12:14:18

2 and 4 seems a bit young to be considering those type of hols, wouldn't they love a bucket and spade type trip for a few more years yet?... It also seems involving them in long journeys there and back (and probably, the main thing) they wouldn't remember it either! I should think the travel companies put age restrictions for these reasons too
We plan to go out to do all the National Parks in the US one year but will wait till ds is about 8 so he will appriciate it!

valleygirl Fri 06-May-05 12:36:27

shouldn't holidays be just as much for the adults (who work arses off all year for a lousy 2 weeks away!!) as for the kids though?!! There are plenty of long haul "extotic" destinations where kids can play on the beach and adults can enjoy some culture. Don't even have to go long haul, Turkey is great for beach, culture, food and it's non-European enough to feel as if you are soemwhere much further away than you actually are. If you are adventurous/brave enough you could even just hire a camper van and take to the road.
I think tarvelling is great, and i've just come back from India where I saw a family with 3 kids under 4 walking around the Taj Mahal!

FIMAC1 Fri 06-May-05 16:10:17

Yes but long haul would also probably involve vaccinations which I would feel uncomfortable about them having just because I fancied something further afield - it is each to his own but there are great beaches to be found in the UK and Europe - a beach is a beach at the end of the day......

I know lots of people who have had severe Diarrhea in Turkey and India for instance, some which led to hospitalisation - dh and myself included, BC (before kids)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now