Talk

Advanced search

What is a bargain lakes holiday, even the self catering cottages are expensive, any ideas?

(18 Posts)
fairyfly Tue 19-Apr-05 16:39:40

Want self catering as cheap as possible for four children and two adults in August, any ideas?

Anteater Tue 19-Apr-05 23:28:13

What dates??

fairyfly Wed 20-Apr-05 21:29:09

Any dates, very flexible

roisin Wed 20-Apr-05 22:29:35

Have you considered camping?

What do you want to do? Where do you want to be? If you go somewhere very picturesque in August it's going to be very pricey. But if you're prepared to travel in a bit some distance you should be able to find something cheaper.

I went past a big site with static caravans on the east shore of Windermere on Sunday: I've no idea what it's like, but it was between Windermere and Ambleside just off the main road?

tiffini Wed 20-Apr-05 22:32:29

john fowler holidays
great for kids

grumpyfrumpy Thu 21-Apr-05 13:18:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NomDePlume Thu 21-Apr-05 13:25:11

LakeDistrict site with guide to camping sites etc

roisin Thu 21-Apr-05 13:28:12

If you really want to get away from it all Camping Barns Quite basic facilities, probably more basic than most modern campsites, but the kids might love it!

I had a friend at university and all she wanted to do was sleep in a barn, and a group of us went to one overnight for a party for her 21st ... in DECEMBER!

Lonelymum Thu 21-Apr-05 13:35:03

Have you thought of Youth Hostels? I believe they have greatly changed in the last few years. The YH in Ambleside is huge and has always been more hotel like than many YHs.

roisin Thu 21-Apr-05 13:45:06

It's not my thread, but would like to hear more about Youth Hostels ... I just don't get them tbh. Whenever I look at them I don't think they are particularly cheap compared to say a Travel Lodge, or camping, or hiring a cottage for the week?

So what's the attraction? (I haven't stayed in one since I was a teenager btw.) Why would someone choose a YH over another budget option?

Lonelymum Thu 21-Apr-05 13:48:55

Aren't they cheaper? As someone who hs camped and stayed in YHs, I suppose the attraction of both is that you can move around and are not tied to one place, but the thing YH's have over camping is you have a roof over your head.

RTKangaMummy Thu 21-Apr-05 14:00:51

We stayed in house just outside KESWICK several years ago

will try to find details

RTKangaMummy Thu 21-Apr-05 14:24:47

here it is

dyzzidi Thu 21-Apr-05 17:19:07

try www.blakes-cottages.co.uk

I am impressed with their prices so far but have not actually used one yet.

JoolsToo Thu 21-Apr-05 17:21:42

Anteater - any news on the house?

Hayls Thu 21-Apr-05 17:28:22

WE're going to the HAven park in Flookburgh next week. Very reasonable, think it was £110 for 3 + dog for 4 nights in a 3 star 3 bedroom static with loads of on site stuff, including pool and restaurant. WE could have booked a much bigger and better caravan for not much extra but they don't allow dogs in the luxury caravans. If you're booking it do it on the iNternet as it's MUCH cheaper than the brochure states.

(John Folwer parks are also great although I've never been to the one in the Lakes)

GOod luck. Il ove the Lake District.

Anteater Thu 21-Apr-05 23:17:48

Fairyfly, for some strange reason the last week in August (which includes a bank hol) is never well booked in the Lakes. Many statics and holiday cottages go free for this week.

Jools, our offer has been topped, we have to make final offers by next Thursday, so its a bit of a guessing game... We also have to make an offer for the heathed flock of Swaledales!

JoolsToo Fri 22-Apr-05 18:18:01

Good luck then! keep us informed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now