Talk

Advanced search

Anyone who has used London buses...

(16 Posts)
Flossam Sun 17-Apr-05 19:50:23

As some of you know I had a problem with a london bus a few months ago. Baked potato was here yesterday saying that she'd had problems too, and lots of others (aloha was one) also stated they had problems. Basically I think that something needs to change, bus drivers all to often are rude, for example today, waited 15 minutes for a bus, which arrived behind another bus. Rather than wait to see if anyone came towards it to try and get on, it sped off. The next bus didn't turn up meaning a grand total waiting time of 55 minutes. Nightmare. On the way back, the bus sped off before we had a chance to collapse the pram properly, DP had hold of DS and managed to sit down, but I fell over on top of the pram, driver just carried on regardless .

DP just argues than they don't give a Sh*t, which all to often is true. But I think they need training and morale boosting to do the job properly they are paid for. The adverts state they earn more than I do as a nurse FFS! Does that mean I could go around with the same attitude? No, I wouldn't be doing my job properly. Obviously there are some wonderful drivers out there, and they deserve to be recognised too. I doubt they very often get letters of thanks for the things they do .

What I was kind of wondering was that if everyone who had a problem, or thinks that driver attitude is a problem could sign some sort of petition so that the bigwigs could see there really is too much of a problem. What do you think? Or should I just get over my problem with london buses and pray DP passes his driving next month?

Miaou Sun 17-Apr-05 20:01:25

Flossam, you have my support but it's not much use because a) I don't live in London and b) where I live the bus driver (we only have one!!!!) is wonderful - takes me and the old ladies to the door, carries shopping into their house for them, etc....

Anyway, back to you ... there are quite a few journalists here who use MN, maybe they would be prepared to write an article about your (and everyone else's) bad experiences? As you point out, you get paid less as a nurse but couldn't get away with doing your job like they do theirs, and yet the NHS receives plenty of criticism. Plus, to an extent the bus drivers have your lives in their hands, just like nurses do! A bit of publicity may just create an "issue" of it, especially once the election is over and we get into summer silly season when the papers are desperate for a good story.

Anyway, will stop waffling now and let someone else get a word in edgeways.....

Flossam Sun 17-Apr-05 22:13:53

Thanks Miaou, it sounds like a good idea to me but I have a vested interest I suppose! I'll bump this up tomorrow to see if anyone has anything to say about it.

purplelizzy Sun 17-Apr-05 22:25:08

Yesterday got on a bus for the first time since DS was born. Have avoided so far because it was bad enough when I was pregnant. This was DH's great idea. We got on OK but all the pram space was taken up by one not very old lady with a huge shopping trolley who wouldn't budge for us. We ended up having to stand right by the door. I think the driver got her licence out of a cereal packet because she screeched round corners and every time the bus stopped, it was very sudden and the doors flung open and we nearly fell out. We ended up getting off half way and walking it was so awful. Another lady with a little girl in a buggy got on just after us & folded up her buggy and the driver sped off before she had a chance to get the poor kid onto a seat. Thank god we are moving out of Lodnon soon.

Miaou Mon 18-Apr-05 09:32:45

Bump for Flossam and other London bus victims

Flossam Mon 18-Apr-05 10:58:52

Thanks Miaou and bump again...

Marina Mon 18-Apr-05 11:05:18

We regularly use buses in London Flossam, with a buggy and an older child, so I'd be interested in some kind of "class action". Round where we are, generally things are not too bad. My biggest issue is with drivers who step on the accelerator before everyone is safely seated, as in the Bob Newhart Bus Driving School sketch. That also affects old folk and, well, everyone really!

DillyDally Mon 18-Apr-05 11:13:20

Can I say what narks me is them refusing to lower the bus and parkign so far way from the kerb it is v difficult to get the buggy off.
Also not even giving you the option of folding the pushchair but just not openeing the doors for you at all.

But then again i have had some lovely ones too.

Marina Mon 18-Apr-05 11:18:47

How could I forget that one dillydally? I just love hurling a small toddler and a Maclaren buggy with plenty of shopping aboard, over 1 foot down into the gutter! Agree that some of them are great though. Special mention for the very nice team of drivers on the B13s and 286s in SE London

motherinferior Mon 18-Apr-05 11:27:59

A bus driver told me a while ago 'this is a non-buggy bus' while whizzing off.

Marina Mon 18-Apr-05 11:29:37

NOT a B13 driver then MI

slug Mon 18-Apr-05 12:52:29

Don't get me started.....I need to keep my blood pressure down.

How about the waiting in the freezing cold forever, being denied access to 3 consecutive busses because 'This bus doesn't take buggies', the sluglet getting more and more distressed, a nice new empty bus coming along and being told I couldn't get on because there 'might' be a wheelchair user that needed the space.

Try the Transport For London website. The mayor's transport policy is avaliable from there. The policy of many companies flagrantly flouts this on a daily basis.

Kelly1978 Mon 18-Apr-05 13:14:25

You have my support Flossam. I live in Croydon and the bus drivers are nearly always rude, and often useless. I really struggled with a buggy, dd and my huge bump. It was difficult gettign on and sat down, but the worse thing was gettign off, they keep stopping halfway in the road and I have to somehow get the buggy and dd safely onto the pavement.
I've now got twins and I haven't dared get on a bus again yet - because of the attitude I know I'm going to have to face with three kids in tow, but it is really hard for ds having to walk everywhere.

Flossam Mon 18-Apr-05 19:24:59

Thanks for all the messages. I was thinking of doing some sort of petition, but I don't quite know what to petition for. Drivers who are courtious, do their job properly and buggy friendly buses and policies, do you think that just about covers it? It would be great if people could sign it, even if they don't have direct experience, just if you believe there is a problem and that something needs to be done about it. Then that could be sent to the people at TFL. ???

slug Tue 19-Apr-05 15:38:43

Check out the Mayor's policy, especially the bits about social inclusion and accessability here

DillyDally Tue 19-Apr-05 15:40:13

Would the evening standard be inetrested?
they do a worst journey section, mainly for commuters but hey....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now