Talk

Advanced search

Virginia, USA - fancy going next summer, tips please!

(7 Posts)
SecondhandRose Fri 15-Apr-05 12:53:11

We quite like the look of Virginia Beach, Williamsburg looks good because of Busch Gardens and the water park. We will have an 11 year old and 7 year. There is a lot of history in that area, but what is best to visit with a young family?

Also would like to go to the Blue Ridge Mountains but the area they cover is so massive so where should be head for?

Also if we go to Washington DC where should we take the kids?

Thanks, hope someone has been.

SecondhandRose Sat 16-Apr-05 18:56:50

No one then?

Clayhead Sat 16-Apr-05 18:58:20

I went to Williamsburg when I was 16 and loved it. I think we spent about 3 days there (my brother was 14).

I Washington we went to the space museum which I remember as being very good.

I will have a think about what else we did!!

Clayhead Sat 16-Apr-05 19:02:16

We went into Pennsylvania for a bit and went to Gettysburg.

Richmond was good.

We saw some of the Blue Ridge Mountains but I can't remember exactly where. Shenandoah National Park rings a bell though.

I seem to remember a place called Winchester.

eidsvold Sun 17-Apr-05 11:03:24

Went to Washington DC a few years ago now...

Smithsoninian, Washington monument - can go to the top brilliant view, pentagon tour( pre 9/11 so may not be able to do that anymore?!?!) , fbi building, Washington's home.

I would do a search on google and check out places to visit... or get hold of a rough guide.

SueW Sun 17-Apr-05 11:26:11

The Waltons? We set off to visit their home but never got there!

We also did Virginia Beach but only a day out on the beach. Children were 9mo and 3mo (my DD and my cousin's DD!) so different focus to you.

MeerkatsUnite Sun 17-Apr-05 14:47:03

Have just returned from Washington DC today.

First the bad news. You cannot tour the White House (unless you are a US citizen who gets written permission from your congressman) and the FBI tours are not running until 2006.

There is a Duck (WW2 vehicle) that runs on both land and water which is worth doing.

National Air and Space Museum is also worth a visit too along with the museum of Natural history and the Bureau of Ingraving and Printing (where the US currency is made).

Any other questions just ask

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now