Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Classic comment on Easyjet Website re breastfeeding on board!

(44 Posts)
saladsucks Mon 16-Feb-09 15:21:28

I found this when searching in the FAQ section of Easyjet's website:

"Can I breastfeed onboard?

Yes, you can breastfeed onboard at any time except during taking off and landing, when you must remain seated with your seat belt fastened."

How exactly do easyjet think women breastfeed?

hf128219 Mon 16-Feb-09 15:23:03

I presume they were thinking of an older child (in their own seat) being breastfed - rather than a baby in arms!

saladsucks Mon 16-Feb-09 15:25:12

you are very nice hf! I'm just laughing at the thought of hundreds of female passengers standing up for the duration of the flight so that they can breastfeed!

thisisyesterday Mon 16-Feb-09 15:28:38

erm yes, but doesn't the baby have to be strapped down too?
ie, you couldn't feed a child that is facing away from you and strapped into a chair?

theyoungvisiter Mon 16-Feb-09 15:29:17

perhaps they think we will all be retiring to the toilets to breastfeed modestly?

theyoungvisiter Mon 16-Feb-09 15:31:53

thisisyesterday - if the baby is under 2 and on your lap then they are in those orange clipon belts, which just attach to your own lap belt. They can face whichever way you like as they are only a loop which encircles the baby.

Completely possible to bf while both mother and baby are buckled up - I have done it numerous times.

Out of interest does anyone know what the heck those orange belts are supposed to do? I imagine the belt of my jeans would be about as useful in the event of a crash hmm

Bella73 Mon 16-Feb-09 15:32:41

Oh, just flew to Glasgow on EasyJet and bf during take off and landing to help dd2 with the pressure change. Didn't occur to me not to. Nobody said anything.

OB-viously I was doing my usual bf'ing pose of standing on my seat wink

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 16-Feb-09 15:34:04

When I flew with 3 month old dd I was advised that takeoff and landing were exactly when you should be bf, because it means the baby is swallowing so equalises the pressure in their ears (or whatever it is that means adults suck sweets).
No problem at all doing it with the seatbelt on the baby - it goes round the baby and loops round your own seatbelt.

LOL @ Easyjet's weird view of bf....

princessmel Mon 16-Feb-09 15:37:04

I agree that they think we would go into the loo to bf.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 16-Feb-09 15:38:23

I'm not sure the other passengers would be happy if the loo was constantly taken up with bf mums.

saladsucks Mon 16-Feb-09 15:43:42

would we have to take it in turns to feed? My DS likes a good 30/45 minute suck. On a flight to Glasgow, we'd be in the loo the whole flight!!!

Bella73 Mon 16-Feb-09 15:46:27

Saladsucks - obviously the whole flight except the take-off and landing grin

thumbwitch Mon 16-Feb-09 15:49:37

that is hysterical - that was the most important time for me to feed DS so that he was sucking and could equalise his ears! As he was buckled into my lap-belt anyway, it wasn't exactly difficult hmmgrin
Mental.

thisisyesterday Mon 16-Feb-09 15:50:19

ahh right, i had no idea how the baby straps worked, just knew they had to wear one.

i too would breastfeed on take-off and landing to help ear pressure in a baby.

thisisyesterday Mon 16-Feb-09 15:51:20

maybe they have had problems with people WANTING to use the loo or somewhere else (not sure where lol) to breastfeed?

and so they've had to make this bizarre statement

HeadFairy Mon 16-Feb-09 15:52:51

Theyoungvisiter, I think those little buckle extensions were introduced in the 80s, until then babies weren't even strapped in, just held on laps. There was a plane crash in the States, Salt Lake City I think, and in those days they used to tell people to hold their babies on the floor in front of them when assuming the brace position. Well someone did that on the Salt Lake city flight and their baby died as the momentum of the crash caused the poor baby to be flung out of the mother's hands. If I dig deep in the recesses of my memory, I think it was a stewardess on that flight who campaigned to introduce buckles for babies as she was so traumatised by that baby's death.

I've also bf thundering down the runway on numerous flights, though not EJ, but it is perfectly possible with those orange seat belt extenders.

saladsucks Mon 16-Feb-09 15:53:28

Absolutely Bella. During take off and landing I shall just let him scream for the general amusement of the rest of the passengers.

claireybeemine Mon 16-Feb-09 15:56:52

I saw that and it made me laugh too, had visions of standing on my head to feed or something

HeadFairy Mon 16-Feb-09 15:58:36

sorry, it was Sioux City, Iowa If you scroll down to the bottom of the paragraph, lessons learned.

duffpancake Mon 16-Feb-09 16:02:09

Easyjet: unlikely proponents of extended bf as their FAQ assumes the questioner's dcs are in ther own seats and thus over 2?

theyoungvisiter Mon 16-Feb-09 16:07:18

how sad - the Iowa flight I mean.

HeadFairy Mon 16-Feb-09 16:08:23

I saw an interview with the Stewardess on a programme and I've never forgotten it, she was so traumatised by those children's deaths.

Bella73 Mon 16-Feb-09 16:14:44

Yep, duffpancake, I'd assume that too, sounds logical grin.

Am still very amused at the thought that I would bf in some sort of dangerous acrobatic way that made me unsafe during takeoff. I was having to lean into the aisle a bit as dd got herself into a strange position and then fell asleep, but we still managed to both keep our seatbelts on at all times.

Our 2 year old is a different story when it comes to keeping on her seatbelt though

Bella73 Mon 16-Feb-09 16:15:33

oh x-posted there with all the really sad stuff about the Iowa flight sad

BoffinMum Mon 16-Feb-09 16:18:02

Read the whole of that air crash thing. Feel terrible for the stewardess who told the mums to put their babies on the floor, but she was doing what she thought was right at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now