Talk

Advanced search

poland...krakow in particular?

(21 Posts)
beansontoast Sat 09-Apr-05 12:49:03

hi,
im supposed to be doing something else much more important....so when the websites i was on were just too slow i thought id post a quick question here...any excuse right?

so,does anyone one have any info/advice/recommendations that they would like to share with me.
basically i have got it into my head that i want to go to poland...and that is as far as i have got.it would be for a short break with ds age 20 months by then.

can do city ,rural or a mixture....and we cant speak polish.

thanks.

Xzebra Sat 09-Apr-05 12:54:08

I went to Poland in 1996. Most young Poles speak English, most older ones speak German or Russian. I would try to go to the Tatry mountains (spectacular), not too far from Krakow, Katowice I think is the main town. Krakow has a lot to see, including Auschwitz nearby (if you can cope, I just couldn't go there). There are some salt mines near Krakow that are worth going to, though might not be ok with a litttle one. Can't remember the name of the mines, but any good guidebook will help you. HTH.

fairyfly Sat 09-Apr-05 13:09:55

I am trying to remember for you, but all i can seem to bring back up is Aushwitz and Birkinhau.

Pruni Sat 09-Apr-05 13:36:05

Message withdrawn

flamesparrow Sat 09-Apr-05 14:46:57

My family are from Zakopane... never been myself yet, but plan to one day. The photographs are beautiful.

beansontoast Sat 09-Apr-05 18:28:46

thanks for the perfectly pitched info everyone...

anyone else ?

tribpot Sun 10-Apr-05 13:04:25

Zakopane is lovely, although the weather is pretty unpredictable. We stayed in a fabulous sort of mountain lodge, my mum describes it as "as comfy as being at home only someone brings you drinks and food on demand" - if you want the name of it, let me know (will have to ask my bro, who used to live in the area).

Katowice has little to recommend it except the budget airline Air Polonia fly there. (Lot fly to Krakow). Krakow is beautiful and yes, the salt mines are just outside and meant to be spectacular - they don't run tours in English that often through the day so worth planning your trip with that in mind.

Auschwitz was a must for me, although I would never take a child there. (At 20 months ds may be too young to understand what's going on though?). An incredibly profound experience, one I'll never forget.

I visited quite some time ago, so I imagine things have improved somewhat since then, but based on when I did visit (early 2001 I think) I wouldn't go there with a little one really. Eating out - other than in Krakow itself - can be quite tricky, the roads were not great and Zakopane is a fair drive from Krakow as I recall. We stayed with my bro, which was brilliant as most of our needs were catered to and he speaks Polish , so I couldn't tell you what the standard of English was like generally. I think that German would be more widely spoken as a second language if you have some of that handy!

Ameriscot2005 Sun 10-Apr-05 13:22:19

No help about Poland, but one legacy from my Polish au pair is that I keep getting emails from the budget airline http://www.wizzair.com . They seem to have lots of great deals (eg. £5+tax seats) if you are able to get to Luton.

beansontoast Sun 10-Apr-05 21:08:18

great stuff,thanks alot.

have decided to just do a weekend,without shortie,with friends!

Pruni Sun 10-Apr-05 21:14:40

Message withdrawn

pootlepod Sun 10-Apr-05 21:16:48

We only had limited time in Krakow, the place is just lovely to walk around, including the castle (?), the square was lovely in the evening. We tried out a few vodkas, favourite tipple was the bison grass vodka with apple juice.

Then the next day we hired a taxi to take us to Auschwitz and the salt mines. Normally we travel by public transport but there was 3 of us, so as cheap and meant we got to see both of those places. The hotel arranged it for us and the ride was worth it!

Ameriscot2005 Sun 10-Apr-05 21:17:55

I doubt that Russian is still taught. My former au pair, who is 26, learnt Russian (but not English or German), but it seems that they were encouraged to expunge all Russian from their minds.

I think younger Poles are learning English, and those who have gone through High School since the mid 90s should know something.

pootlepod Sun 10-Apr-05 21:18:03

Oh and 'cheers' in Polish is

gin-queer

Forgotten all the other bits I learnt!

Ameriscot2005 Sun 10-Apr-05 22:00:51

Your knowledge of Polish is the same as my knowledge of Gaelic - the important bits.

Slainte!

Pruni Sun 10-Apr-05 22:13:45

Message withdrawn

Ameriscot2005 Sun 10-Apr-05 22:18:12

Maybe Polish vodka is just queer gin

flamesparrow Mon 11-Apr-05 08:46:24

Djadek means grandad ... the extent of my knowledge

pindy Mon 11-Apr-05 11:45:43

My husband is Polish - born in the UK though - we are off to Poland in the summer. Flying to Krakow and then staying in Zacopane for a week or so.

pindy Mon 11-Apr-05 11:46:04

Bapcia means grandma

flamesparrow Mon 11-Apr-05 12:25:13

Ooooh, I always thought that was just my great gran's name!!!

beansontoast Tue 12-Apr-05 22:32:01

all these messages are lovely

my son has a great bapcia..dp is half polish born here.
am looking forwrd to it very much,especially as i now have a full vocab!

im going to have to do something about my irritating at the best of times nervous grin it seems.
have a great time pindy
nads-droh-veer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now