Talk

Advanced search

Residential summer camps for children apart from PGL?

(10 Posts)
mulranno Tue 27-Jan-09 13:25:32

looked in to the Forest School Camps set up and it looked great -- but over subscribed -- does anyone know of similar budget (charity?Fieldstudies) schemes for residentail summer camps?

PuzzleRocks Tue 27-Jan-09 16:12:42

Bumping for you.

verylapsedrunner Tue 27-Jan-09 18:14:12

www.campbeaumont.co.uk/

tassisssss Tue 27-Jan-09 18:19:52

realise it might not be your thing, but do consider scripture union holidays - they're fantastic.

catweazle Tue 27-Jan-09 18:36:37

doit4real do cheap summercamps and free transport.

Leah4 Fri 22-Jan-10 22:35:12

I have also heard about Scripture Union holidays Tassisssss. My daughter's friend may be going, but I don't know what the holidays are like and she has not been on a residential holiday alone before. She is 8. What are they like, and are the leaders experienced in swimming/abseiling etc? Are they quite safe, and do children stay on-site whilst there?

Thanks

Milliways Fri 22-Jan-10 22:38:18

about SU holidays

outdooradventurer Thu 05-May-11 11:42:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

80sbabe Thu 05-May-11 23:33:44

Funnily enough, I just briefly posted about SU holidays on another thread here.

My two boys have been going on them for years and I have nothing but praise for them.
My boys have done sailing, karting, multisports, dirt bikes, arts and crafts and many other activities over the years. The one both of them liked best was full of what I would call "fresh air" activities such as building dams, sleeping outdoors (supervised of course), camp fires, stream dipping etc...

We have always found they have a superb adult child ratio on all their holidays, the children always have a positive experience and the facilities are excellent.

My daughter isn't old enough for SU yet but has been on PGL and had a good time there.

Scripture Union are also fabulous value for money at around 1/5 of the price of PGL but the facilities are just as good. The boys have stayed in all sorts of venues - log cabins and private schools - the sailing holiday one they stayed on the boats.

As I said on the other thread too the confidence and independence gained from such experiences is invaluable. My children have friends all over the country and have many fantastic memories from their time away from mum and dad.

If anyone wants to PM me about SU holidays I'll be happy to answer any questions or chat more about them.

jomaguire Mon 08-Aug-11 14:01:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now