Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in North Yorkshire with a 2 year-old?

(15 Posts)
OldieMum Tue 05-Apr-05 19:43:49

We are renting a house in Pickering next week. We are really looking forward to trips to York, Whitby and Riveaulx, but I would be grateful for any other recommendations for things to see or so which would appeal to DD, who is two. I haven't visited North Yorkshire since my childless days, so I don't have much idea of what's there for children.

vickiyumyum Tue 05-Apr-05 20:21:13

lucky you! i used to live in york and can't wait to go back.
if you are in pickering your near the steam railway, both of my kids loved that when ds2 was 18months, also if they have any interest in trains e.g thomas the railway museum in york is free!
a day out in whitby is great, just take plenty of wipes for the ice cream and the best fish and chips in the whole country!
flamingland is also near pickering, but having not been there for a number of years not really sure how much there is suitable for young kids, although you could look on their website at www.flamingoland.co.uk. (its a theme park/ wildlife park)

bluesky Tue 05-Apr-05 21:24:27

I would also echo steam train, we went to Scarborough as opposed to Whitby, take waterproof trousers and wellies for the beach, very blowy!

Mine enjoyed seeing the lambs, climbing 'hills', just generally meandering, fields and streams etc, it was lovely.

amylou Wed 06-Apr-05 12:21:50

flamingo land is great for little ones as there's quite a few rides for them and the farm to look round too. dont think you pay for 2 yr old either.. better check though.
Also thirsk way - there is a great farm www.monkpark.co.uk. its got sheep, pigs, cows, goats, ducks, horses, few birds etc and you can feed the lambs and you can buy food to give to the other animals. Also its got a great play area with a huge sandpit, lots of other bits, picnic tables and cafe. We'd be there every weekend if I let my daughter!

BethAndHerBrood Wed 06-Apr-05 18:00:16

Thornton Dale for an ice cream, only a tiny village, not very much there, but famous for the ice cream shops, and only 10 minutes from pickering. There's a little river with some ducks on, and a lovely "chocolate box" thatched cottage to look at. You could only fill in an hour or so, but useful if you're at a loose end later in the day!!

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 06-Apr-05 18:05:45

I highly recommend the Magpie restaurant in Whitby for Fish and Chips. It's on the front and they do the best and biggest.

wordgirl Wed 06-Apr-05 18:28:23

newby hall near Ripon is one of my favourite places. There is a lovely playground, miniature train, sculpture walk and beautiful gardens.

ssd Thu 07-Apr-05 07:21:24

We went to Ruswarp, which is near to Whitby last summer and we're going again this summer! It's a beautiful part of the country. If you get a day warm enough and dri-ish! there are some lovely little beaches nearby.Sandsend, and Robin Hoods Bay are lovely, so is Striathes. When we went last year we were very unlucky with the weather but we still enjoyed our visit. On wet days we went to the museum at Whitby and the baths! Also enjoyed the 2penny machines in Scarborough on a wet day!
Hope you have a lovely time!
ssd xx

hoxtonchick Thu 07-Apr-05 08:35:46

lots of good reccomendations here. my mum & i took ds to newby hall last year when he was 2.5ish & he spent literally hours in the big sandpit. the train wasn't working but even watching it was fun. it's quite expensive though.

clary Thu 07-Apr-05 09:06:43

I used to live in Whitby (pre children). If it's nice weather the beaches are great, as well as Whitby and RH Bay and Staithes I would rec Runswick Bay, very nice sandy beach.
Yes the Magpie for fish and chips (be prepared to queue).
I believe the Abbey has a new visitor centre since I lived there but it's not cheap to get into...
Lovely walks on the North Yorks moors, beautifully empty (not like flippin' Derbyshire where I now live grrr!)
If it's wet it's a bit trickier but there are always the slotties at Whitby and Scarboro.
Pannett Park in Whitby is nice and has the town museum for a small charge there as well. Free to residents of Whitby IIRC!

alux Thu 07-Apr-05 10:57:13

Also near Ripon is Fountains Abbey (National Trust) Gorgeous ruins with lovely grounds and additional extensive parkland - with streams, small cliffs, deer etc. Wide meandering paths that are toddler and pushchair friendly.

KVG Thu 07-Apr-05 11:49:55

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Thu 07-Apr-05 11:56:53

oh i love that steam railway - took my mum on it and the last stop was where they film heartbeat! she nearly died of excitement when i bought her a drink in the ACTUAL pub!

for something classy go to Howard Castle - if its a nice day the gardens are the best i have ever seen. you can get the bus from york

clary Thu 07-Apr-05 12:10:11

yeah if you like heartbeat it's filmed in Goathland, not much of it done on location now tho. But the pub is there and the garage and the shots at the start of the show.

RedKa Fri 08-Apr-05 10:04:48

Dalby Forest is great and has good picnic and children's play areas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: