Talk

Advanced search

UK holiday recommendations for family - 2 parents, 4 kids age 11yrs - 18yrs

(13 Posts)
mears Tue 05-Apr-05 16:49:14

Looking for somewhere to go for 3-4 days in July. Am thinking of Oasis (centerparcs) or Ribby Hall. Anyone got any experience of them or have any other, not too expensive, recommendations?

tiredemma Tue 05-Apr-05 16:58:12

have only been to CP at sherwood im afraid, but i do know that its megabucks in the summer.

what about haven lodges? i cant do links but i know they are on the web
hth

Tiggiwinkle Tue 05-Apr-05 17:01:27

Mears- We went to Centerparcs last year with 4 of our kids-at the time 5-22 years old! But it was the one in Norfolk-Elvedon.
They all had a great time-in fact we went for another break just before Christmas.
It can get expensive if they all take part in activities as these all come at additional cost. The pool is free though, and to be honest you can spend a lot of time there. Ours also loved being able to ride their bikes safely wihtout worrying about traffic.

mears Tue 05-Apr-05 18:10:10

Thanks for your posts. We went to Oasis about a year and a half ago for a long weekend which was actually quite good. There are discounts on at the moment so we might go back. Someone I know went to Ribby Hall and said it was really good. The advantage is that you are close to other attractions such as Blackpool (never been) and Camelot Theme Park. The activities on site certainly can be expensive so we thought about staying somewhere that had attractions within travelling distance. Wondered about somewhere in the Lake District too. Any other places anyone knows of?

JanH Tue 05-Apr-05 18:24:34

My dentist goes to Ribby Hall (I'd never heard of it till he mentioned it) and says it's fantastic. He has 2 daughters who ride and he said they just disappear all day - so I assume there is riding there - don't know if that appeals to yours, mears?

We have visited Oasis twice for a day when my cousin's family went - 2nd time (last year I think) it seemed quite run down compared to previous visit but that may have been pre-Center-Parcs-isation.

Camelot is really not that good - doesn't compare with eg Alton Towers (I'm told) except that the queue times are a bit shorter.

How about The Quiet Site? It has mumsnet connections, looks and sounds (!) very peaceful and is close to lots of attractions.

I have to go out now but will rack brians for you while away

tamum Tue 05-Apr-05 18:34:41

While Jan is wracking her brians I can recommend Manor House Hotel for those kind of mixed ages/ mixed interests. It's probably far too far for you mears, but I thought I'd mention it in case. We took my stepchildren there when they were teenagers and there's lots to do, great riding nearby, lots of sporting stuff (inc. unusual things like archery) and lots of craft courses. The food wasn't fantastic IIRC, but it was nice generally.

bossykate Tue 05-Apr-05 18:37:23

mears, is cornwall too far for you?

JanH Tue 05-Apr-05 21:38:14

Hm. Been googling and found a few - not much though.

Acorn Adventure (try not to think of Acorn Antiques, please) at Derwentwater which looks good (but doesn't start until end of July?)

Oh damn - just lost half of what I wrote before - how did that happen?

Beacon Hill Farm, Morpeth

Breamish Valley Cottages, Alnwick

(They look a bit dear though). Oh - and just checked availability - fully booked in July. However the Derwentwater one is available from 31/7 - 6/8...

Can't find much in Lakes atm - however if you do go there (to Oasis or wherever) see if you can book for Go Ape at Grizedale Forest - I think your kids would love it!

mears Wed 06-Apr-05 18:59:40

Thanks very much for that info. Devon is too far away really. Did that rip before and swore not to do it again! Like the look of the Ape place - I am sure the kids would love that. Thanks for all your assistance

spykid Wed 06-Apr-05 19:04:19

mears, I can thoroughly recommend Oasis. Take kids every year for last 4 years, and they look forward to the freedom they get on their bikes.
We find it gives us chance to do outdoor things as a family, and the restaurants are really child friendly.
HTH

Dahlia Wed 06-Apr-05 19:05:16

Mears, we went to Ribby Hall 18 months ago. Great indoor pool with slides, plus a separate adults only pool, sauna, steam room etc. Kids creche and play area which was either free, or extremely cheap, can't remember. Lovely bakery/coffee shop. Crazy golf, horse riding, outdoor adventure playground etc. Very nice pizzeria, and another restaurant which was nice too. Nice accommodation. Twenty minutes drive from Blackpool. We enjoyed it!

mears Thu 07-Apr-05 00:23:27

Would Ribby Hall be boring for children over 11 yrs old though?

Dahlia Thu 07-Apr-05 18:27:45

Possibly, I can't remember any other specific activities. Mine are younger so it was good for them. But you have got Blackpool so close, and that is a fab place for any age, the funfair is absolutely fantastic and you could spend several full days there. HTH.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: