Talk

Advanced search

Christmas markets - where to go?

(6 Posts)
wangle99 Sat 24-Jan-09 19:11:41

And yes I do realise its only January lol

Am finally getting myself a passport grin with the intention of DD and I to go to a Christmas market in December of this year.

Have been googling to my hearts content but there are so many and not sure where would be good to go.

So, anyone been? Advice? Where not to go?

Thank you!

SulliedYouth Sat 24-Jan-09 19:41:09

There is one in Bath that is fantastic. Lots to do with the kids if you take them.
www.bathchristmasmarket.co.uk/

Karamazov Sat 24-Jan-09 20:07:03

In the UK - It has to be Lincoln. Can't get better! Have done the Bath one too - but Lincoln is much better! Book accomodation asap as it is very busy.
HTH

Badpups Sun 25-Jan-09 10:20:36

The Christmas markets I've been to abroad in France and Germany are packed at the weekend so I'd recommend that you go mid-week if you can (not sure how old your DD is).

Munich has several markets in different parts of the city and its easy to travel around using their underground system. There's also a huge craft-type market in the Theresianwiese (where the Oktoberfest is held but this is quite different!!).

The one in Nürnberg is also meant to be fantastic.
I've been to Lübeck in Northern Germany which was good plus the ones in Baden Baden, Trier and Karlsrühe. Vienna is another city with several markets.

The one that I personally would not go back to is Lille (in France). It was so crowded that you physically couldn't move other than in the direction that the crush was moving. Hopeless for trying to see the stalls and quite frightening for young children.

dinkystinky Sun 25-Jan-09 11:23:08

How old is your DD? We went to Copenhagen last year with DS (2.8 years old) and we went to Tivoli (amusement park combined with Christmas Fair) which was excellent. You need to buy tickets - I would advise buying the morning when the ticket booth opens and then walk in later in the day when you want to (lights come on around 4.30ish). There are plenty of rides and most of the people there are danes. It was great (we last went when I was pregnant with DS) but eye wateringly expensive because of the euro exchange rate - hope it improves before next December.

My sister has been to xmas market in Bruges and also Vienna and loved it (though complained was lots of horse poo everywhere in Vienna).

piscesmoon Sun 25-Jan-09 11:39:18

Nearer to home Winchester had a good one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now