loader

Talk

Advanced search

do you travel light?

(19 Posts)
sallystrawberry Mon 04-Apr-05 00:52:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gingerbear Mon 04-Apr-05 01:02:35

Used to pre DD. Once went for 6 weeks to Australia with one small backpack (so small it went in the overhead locker in the plane). Now travel with the kitchen sink.

suzywong Mon 04-Apr-05 01:05:22

yes always travel light,

Dh once got pulled over on a solo trip back to Perth because he only had handluggage yet was staying for 2 weeks, was also reading a book about the Triads.... duh.

gingerbear Mon 04-Apr-05 01:13:35

hope they didn't use the marigolds Suzy! I will never forget arriving in Perth after umpteen hours in same clothes. Security had sniffer dogs out at the passport queue - I got a wet labrador nose up my bum with a 'Welcome to Australia' greeting from the dog's handler.

sallystrawberry Mon 04-Apr-05 01:15:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kama Mon 04-Apr-05 01:51:03

Message withdrawn

SecondhandRose Mon 04-Apr-05 08:28:29

Yes we do but it's usually cos we buy so much when we're away! Usually have a washer too.

Hulababy Mon 04-Apr-05 08:31:07

No longer. Before DD we were not not bad, but since having DD we tend to over pack for all eventualities. i am getting better now she is older, but still like to take extra clothes for her, etc.

Chuffed Mon 04-Apr-05 11:54:13

Yes dd, dh and I just had 10 days travelling around in Turkey with a pack between us all.
Agree with Kama though probably would have had a similar amount for half the time.

milliways Mon 04-Apr-05 12:13:29

We go to France every year & always take too much + bikes, inflatable boat etc BUT have to leave enough room in boot to bring home at least 100 bottles of Vino - so we don't have to buy any in this country ever! The kids get sooo embarrassed when we hit the hypermarkets

gingerbear Mon 04-Apr-05 12:15:10

Chuffed, how did you do it? What was on your packing list??

zubb Mon 04-Apr-05 12:17:19

When I'm on my own yes - can do a week away with just hand luggage, but add the kids into the equation and it all goes wrong!

LIZS Mon 04-Apr-05 12:21:31

We always mean to but have yet to successfully with kids ! Know what you mean Kama by taking as much for a few days as a week or two. Depends on what sort of holiday you are going on too -skiing involves lots of bulk and clutter (2 suitcases and 2 boot bags minimum for us !) whereas a week on a beach where stuff can be rinsed out and dried in a day, and where you spend much of the time in a swim suit, means you could take far less, in theory at least(still at least 2 suitcases for us though).

Most successful travelling light was a safari (pre kids) - we took a backpack qand daypack between us for 6 days and left rest of our holiday gear in suitcase at hotel so we could completely switch wardrobe for second week. Unlike our companions , one of whom took a huge Samsonite in the minibus but still only wore the same shirt and trousers all week (or perhaps he had identical ones for every day)!!

Chuffed Mon 04-Apr-05 13:07:22

dh and I both 2 trousers, 1 shorts, 5 t-shirts, 5 undies, 5 socks, I also had 2 bras and 1 togs. dh's shorts doubled as togs. 1 pair gloves/hat each.
dd had 4 trousers, 8 white gap socks (all the same so could wear any 2), 5 grows, 4 long sleeved t-shirts, 1 woolen jumper, 1 hat, 2 gloves, polar fleece and we all had raincoats.
Also took about 20 nappies, 1 lge pack wipes + 2 travel packs. Then just some toiletries. 3 sippy cups 2 for milk and 1 for water and 2 bags formula. dd had 6 small books, small soft toy and a toy phone to play with as well.
We did some washing on the way, about day 4 and day 6, our 'pensions' provided washing services for about £5 a load but it's worth it for ease of not taking the kitchen sink. This included what we wore to the airport etc. It was 'well' packed.

This help?

sorrel Mon 04-Apr-05 13:46:17

like lizs i always try to but was horrified how much extra we squeezed in when we took the car to France.:kites, bike, rainproofs,bike helmet ,tennis rackets,electric fan( it was the year that it was 40 degrees in France so glad we brought it),all dd summer clothes(or she'll never get to wear them again)laptop computer,box of reading material, blow up paddling pool,art materials for car and rainy days,medicine first aid box,6 bottles of water,picnic box full of sancks etc Jeeez you think we wer going to Borneo.

Things have improved now as dh and i recently went to paris for 4 days with only one piece of hand baggage between us.

gingerbear Mon 04-Apr-05 13:55:48

Well done chuffed. What about towels? Did you have one of those microfibre things?
Can see why you needed to wash stuff after 4-6 days. I can remember the feeling of bliss wearing freshly washed clothes after 9 days wearing the same clothes in outback Oz. Never did get the red mud stains out though!
I always pack too much for DD - even though these days she lives in a UV swimsuit and hat for most of the time on holiday.
Toiletries always seem to take up half a pack/case for us.

sorrel Mon 04-Apr-05 14:04:46

i have now learned to buy mini toietries which is great if you need to save weight in bag.Also like gingerbear have worked out that dd is in uvsuit the entire fortnight.

Chuffed Mon 04-Apr-05 16:12:05

Got towels at the places we were staying so didn't take our own. it wasn't really warm enough to swim so we didn't actually use the togs but had to take them as a just in case.

expatinscotland Mon 04-Apr-05 16:38:01

I used to pre DD, but no more! Oh, heavens no. As I get older, I like to have all my 'essential gear' around as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now