Talk

Advanced search

Only ONE London attraction, which would you choose??

(23 Posts)
Empress Sun 03-Apr-05 21:23:14

we are having short trip to central London, will have time to do just ONE attraction with 6yo dd - which one do people think is best value entertainment??

unicorn Sun 03-Apr-05 21:24:11

science museum.

noddyholder Sun 03-Apr-05 21:25:54

natural history museum lots of interactive things

roisin Sun 03-Apr-05 21:26:19

We're going on Monday for a few days with dss (5 and 7).

Natural History Museum is actually top of the list this time (dinosaurs and volcanoes and creepy crawly things).

But the Science Museum comes a very close second. (We are doing that as well of course.)

happymerryberries Sun 03-Apr-05 21:26:43

Went there a few weeks ago and it was fab. And FREE! Spent 3 hours there and was on the go all the time. Loads of fun hands on stuff, and amazing diplays. Stephensons rocket, the 'original' DNA model and apollo 10!! the real things, I was gobsmacked and so excited! The kids were faintly embarased I think!

happymerryberries Sun 03-Apr-05 21:28:26

The V and A do 'family back packs' free as well, with things for the kids to do in each area. We were going to go there as well but spent all our available time in the Science museum which was sooooooooooooo good!

I was honesly so excited I was almost in tears.....how sad am I???

roisin Sun 03-Apr-05 21:31:10

If you can must half a dozen or so amenable kids you can go for a sleepover hmb!

roisin Sun 03-Apr-05 21:31:27

must = muster

Posey Sun 03-Apr-05 21:32:26

Science Museum, absolutely no doubt about it.

happymerryberries Sun 03-Apr-05 21:32:47

tempting, but it is a two hour trip by train, so it might be a probelm if one of the kids threw a wobbler. Can the parents all go as well? I'd love to go!

LouBeeLou Tue 05-Apr-05 12:57:24

The Museum of Childhood is fab, think it's in Bethnal Green. Not really very central but it's on the tube.

dropinthe Tue 05-Apr-05 12:58:33

Natural History without a doubt-you cant beat dinosaurs!

ThomCat Tue 05-Apr-05 13:08:59

science museum. we go back ther all the time.

suzywong Tue 05-Apr-05 13:11:55

London Eye, playground underneath it to play while your'e waiting/letting off steam, plenty to look at on the river, a turn around the eye and then a stroll and an icecream along the south bank

bundle Tue 05-Apr-05 13:12:33

basement of the science museum definitely, but if you have to get back to waterloo, then the london eye is also worth a quick visit imo.

vict17 Tue 05-Apr-05 13:13:10

London Acquarium - it's right near the London Eye so you could do both

Rhubarb Tue 05-Apr-05 13:22:22

The pub. You get your dd a coke and a packet of crisps whilst you have lots of beer in a traditional London setting, meet the locals, experience true London life, etc. Definitely the pub.

Niddlynono Tue 05-Apr-05 13:23:10

London Aquarium gets my vote too. It's great for kids and parents.

RTMTMML Tue 05-Apr-05 13:23:26

also when you are by the Eye and the Aquarium you'll find the Frog Tours. A big yellow army bus that does tours on and off the river. Wonderful fun. You can find Frog Tours online, here

Empress Wed 13-Apr-05 20:20:37

Thanks - clear vote for the science museum, then! Now I really don't want to upset the Londoners among you, but we have a science museum where we live and a Eye equivalent as well. we've done dinosaurs to death (ha ha).Anything that we really can't get here that we could get there? what about Tower of London? Madame Tussauds? what do people think of those in terms of child entertainment value?

Posey Wed 13-Apr-05 20:23:10

We took dd to the Tower when she was around 6 and she enjoyed it.
Not so sure about Tussauds. Dd has never expressed an interest in going.

wheresmyfroggy Wed 13-Apr-05 20:25:33

tussauds is a bit overated i think, kew gardens was always a winner when i was little as was science museum

sis Wed 13-Apr-05 20:34:23

Get a family travelcard and go on the docklands light railways - driverless trains so children can sit at the front and pretend to drive. At the canary Wharf bit, it is great as the train goes inbetween buildings and is a couple of floors above street level.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: