Talk

Advanced search

Would you accept a free holiday?

(7 Posts)
Tissy Tue 29-Mar-05 09:29:45

Sorry, but this isn't an offer!

I'm trying to find a summer holiday this year (high season, unfortunately) for me, dh, dss(18) and dd(3). We've inherited a little money, so could afford to splash out just this once, and go somehere exotic/ unusual, but I was having trouble finding something that would suit both dss and dd. We spent Easter weekend with my brother's family, they have a ds who is the same age as mine (they get on well), and dd adores her 3 younger cousins.

I had the bright idea of inviting them to holiday with us, and at first my brother said yes, but now they've cooled off a lot. I know they can't afford it, but we could afford it, if we chose a cheaper holiday for all of us. I would be quite happy to pay for all of them to come along, as it would keep our 2 children happy, and there would be 4 adults and 2 teenagers to keep the younger children in check. I'm not talking hotels, but maybe Eurocamping or something like that.

What do you MNers think? Do I just have to forget it, or is there any way that I can persuade my brother that it is a good idea?

lunavix Tue 29-Mar-05 09:31:13

Damn!

Thought it was an offer, I was so excited I'd got in first!

lapsedrunner Tue 29-Mar-05 09:38:56

Why don't you go self catering, rent a large house and invite them along. That way there is not so much pressure of it being a "packaged" type holiday that you are paying for. If you want to go abroad why not go to France and they can just pay their own ferry or cheap flight. can recommend www.gites-de-france.fr as a good source of Gites.

crunchie Tue 29-Mar-05 09:55:27

I agree with lapsedrunner, rent a house then invite could be one option. However do a quick search of MN and you will find loads of stories about taking friends/relatives on holiday. I seemed a good idea at first, but it often the holiday form hell

Trifle Tue 29-Mar-05 16:04:16

I think you're inviting them for them for the wrong reasons. To simply provide play mates for your children to make your life easier is not always the best solution. If I had the money I would probably go for something like a Mark Warner, Neilson Beach Club or Sunsail holiday. Their childcare is widely accepted as being excellent as are the sporting facilities and food. It isnt cheap but if you do have the money this would for me be one of the most relaxing holidays I could imagine bearing in mind the need to keep children and adults sufficiently entertained. For an 18 year old they can get to try all the watersports (included in the price) and as most entertainment is on site there wouldnt be the worry of him venturing too far out on his own with constant demands for money, food, entertainment or the 'I'm bored' syndrome. If you really do have the money then you could try somewhere like Antigua where I think Mark Warner have a beach club. It would be a truly memorable destination and in all honesty more relaxing than Eurocamping/gite hire etc might be. Do you really want to spend hours cooking, washing up, traipsing to the toilet block for showers etc. I think it would be worth checking out the best all round package for your family and going for quality rather than quantity in numbers.

pinotgrigio Tue 29-Mar-05 16:36:45

We went to the FDR resort in Jamaica. Absolutely brilliant - you get a FREE nanny, who looks after your LOs all day, with loads of classes and activities for them, with special teas laid on, water stuff, educational stuff, playstations, nature etc etc.

There are tons of things to do for teens too and it's all inclusive, so free wine!!! The food was amazing too.

It was bliss. I wish we could afford to go back.

crunchie Tue 29-Mar-05 16:57:14

The other thought would be two tents, near each other, but not too close.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: