Talk

Advanced search

Flying to Oz in 5 days, any tips?

(16 Posts)
Beccles Mon 28-Mar-05 12:05:05

Message withdrawn

suzywong Mon 28-Mar-05 12:09:14

anymore details?
Who are you flying with, where are you going to?

there are heaps of threads on this very subject in the travel section and lots of good advice

Bouj Mon 28-Mar-05 12:13:24

yes, I have done this, though ds was younger... We now live in Brisbane. I recommend lots of books, toys, chocolate, and the assumption that you will get little sleep! Good luck, and enjoy Australia.

Millie1 Mon 28-Mar-05 12:18:03

Can't wait to see what advice you get ... we go at end April with 3.5 yr old and 16 mth old. Did it before when DS1 was 5 months - easy then as he slept & fed all the time. Have a great holiday.

redsky Mon 28-Mar-05 13:54:42

wear loose comfy layers. and i pack a clean top and clean underwear for arrival. If you are being met by rellies they will be so pleased to see you it won't matter what you wear, and if not then no one will give a hoot what you are wearing. I dress 'casually' but still manage to feel overdressed when I go home to Melbourne! No matter what preparations you make - the flight is endless and you finish up feeling like a bit of chewed string. But I find the Aussie sunshine and big blue skies sweep away the jetlag very quickly. Hope you have a FAB holiday - where are you going??
BTW i also take wetwipe thingies to freshen up en route. Don't worry how messy the kids get - they ALL finish up a mess!

SueW Mon 28-Mar-05 14:03:54

Have a shower at your transit airport if possible. Rehydrates your nasal passages and freshens you up LOADS. Makes the onward journey far more bearable.

suzywong Mon 28-Mar-05 14:18:43

don't pack any fruit in your daybag, the dogs will sniff you out at the airport

Millie1 Mon 28-Mar-05 22:43:55

Suzy ... really? No fruit at all? Mine aren't great fruit eaters but had planned on apples, bananas and strawberries. Yikes ... what'll I feed them on?!!

SPARKLER1 Mon 28-Mar-05 22:47:09

I was going to say make sure that you follow the yellow brick road!!!!!!! Sorry got my daft head on. Seriously, hope you have a wonderful time.

goreousgirl Mon 28-Mar-05 23:00:21

A friend of mine packed 3 changes of clothes for her baby when she flew to NZ - the baby was really sick - missed itself and soaked Mummy - and she had no change of clothes for herself!! Hopefully with a 2 year old, that won't happen - but you probably will end up with a spilt drink / food etc etc all over you .....Also does babe have own seat - or on your lap with belt? If on your lap - take something soft to put against the belt clip - they're SO hard for the poor things to sleep on. Finally - pampers care mats ALWAYS come in handy - imo!! Have a great time I'm dead jealous.

suzywong Mon 28-Mar-05 23:50:25

Well you can, but the dogs will sniff you (probably your crotch as well, you know what they are like) and you will have to declare it and dispose of any samples that you are carrying.

We don't care for filthy foreign fruit here in Australia you know

californiagirl Tue 29-Mar-05 01:03:59

Pack the fruit. Just remember to dump any of it that you don't eat (there are clearly marked bins for this purpose). The dogs will probably notice you, and a nice person will ask why, and you can tell them you had fruit but you ate it, and they will look, and then go away again. It's no big deal. They don't rough you up even if they find a banana you forgot .

Changes of clothes are important, plus more diapers than you think, more food and toys (small and cheap -- quantity is WAY more important than quality) than you think, and it's always wise to pack calpol just in case as you can't get infant medications in mid-flight.

eidsvold Tue 29-Mar-05 05:42:55

pack the fruit but remember to dump it in the huge bins with signs they have posted...

Who are you flying??

Where to??

there are lots of threads on long haul flying etc...if you want to do a seach.

the weather is fab here at the moment - not too hot and nice and sunny!! ( well here in Brisbane anyway)

AussieSim Tue 29-Mar-05 06:57:33

Re the flight take some new toys that your DD has never seen before and unwrap them at intervals on the plane. At 2 she will probably be interested in the food that they serve but I would take snacks like dried fruit, biscuits etc etc.

Re Australia, I am in Sydney and have a 2yo. We go to Taronga Zoo regularly and DS absolutely loves it. You can get a ferry from circular quay. Also take the ferry over to Manly - she and you will love the ride across the harbour and it is not expensive. There is a little aquarium just a short walk from where you get off the ferry, that I think is ideal for 2yo with short attention spans. At Darling Harbour there is a lovely old fashioned carousel that my DS loves and the restaurants around the area are quite child friendly. It has been a bit wet here lately so bring light rain jackets. It usually doesn't hang around for too long and before you know it you need a hat and sunscreen. HTH

chloeb2002 Tue 29-Mar-05 19:26:24

Ill agree with ausie sim Taronga is awesome and the ferry is always a plus and the cable car... the aquarium at Darling harbour is DD's favourite day trip. Ill also suggest some of the south west. Belgenny farm in Camden have regular day events and you can go on horse and carts, sheep sheering, animal petting. My dd loves shopping and enjoys westfields parramatta, getting the ferry there and a lift home with GD. I can smell the coffee from here!

nnosam Tue 29-Mar-05 19:30:48

throw away knickers for you and dd, so you dont have to wash a load when you get there, i did this when we went to oz last april, really easy. plus get a sedative for dd from the doctors, because they cant clear their ears properly at this age, my dr told me to give ds a sedative so that he would sleep and clear his ears without knowing he was doing it.. also lots of little light NEW toys for dd to play with and if you put them in a new bag for her to carry it makes it more fun for her. worked a treat with my ds and he was 17mt at the time... good luck and enjoy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now