Talk

Advanced search

How do you pack so you dn't take your entire wardrobe, where do you buy resealable plastic bags for customs, is last summers suncream in date & other minor holiday hassles

(23 Posts)
KatyMac Fri 26-Dec-08 19:14:33

I am feeling a little pressured......so I am say on MN with Narnia on eating chocolate & quietly panicking

Any good holiday tips?

cece Fri 26-Dec-08 19:17:24

Put the things you want to take out on the bed. Half the amount you are going to take. Then double the amount of money. grin

They give out the bags at the airport don't they? For free, or at least they did last summer at Gatwick.

No idea about the suncream.

KatyMac Fri 26-Dec-08 19:19:30

I did that twice for each of us....it's shoes, toiletries, medication & books that take up all the room (is 12kg average too much?)

Apparently the bags are £3 at the airport now hmm

Podrick Fri 26-Dec-08 19:20:01

Where are you off to?

Last year's sun cream will have deteriorated - buy at the airport or when you get there, depending on where you are going.

cece Fri 26-Dec-08 19:21:40

I got a zip up bag from Smiths - like a mini book bag.

KatyMac Fri 26-Dec-08 19:23:24

Summer 08 ones? Oh poo! more money

VirginBoffinMum Fri 26-Dec-08 19:23:57

You only need 3 of anything - one on, one off and one in the wash. Double quantity for children.

Print off security regs regarding fluids to wave at nasty security people trying to steal your toiletries wantonly on dubious grounds.

Podrick Fri 26-Dec-08 19:24:15

Am sure summer 2008 suncream will be fine but check the use by date

Podrick Fri 26-Dec-08 19:24:53

how many pairs of shoes are you taking?

KatyMac Fri 26-Dec-08 19:29:15

DH - going out (new Years eve); Trainers (Cycling & tennis); Sandals (beach/sailing)

DD - Going out & sandals

Me - beach & walking

KatyMac Fri 26-Dec-08 19:29:49

But DH is size 11 shock

Thank goodness for the suncream

SueW Fri 26-Dec-08 19:40:23

Who did you get travel ins with in the end?

I tend to buy books in the duty free lounge. 12kg should be well within limits 0 surely even stingy airlines allow 20kg check in luggage?

SueW Fri 26-Dec-08 19:42:10

Have you got to dress up anything more than casual linen trousers/skirts?

KatyMac Fri 26-Dec-08 19:44:54

New Years eve Gala - So slightly dressy (DH is not taking a suit)

Green Bee - very good

The limit is 20Kg - I just worry about taking too much stuff

SueW Fri 26-Dec-08 19:47:37

Are there laundry facilities?

(I haven't done a holiday for ages where I haven't been able to do my own laundry, at worst having to use travel laundry stuff and hang on balcony to dry)

SueW Fri 26-Dec-08 19:48:38

Glad to hear you got insurance. Greenbee/John Lewis - what a fab example of branding/customer care tbh)

KatyMac Fri 26-Dec-08 19:52:29

I never even consider doing laundry on holiday blush - well apart from rinsing a swimsuit out

SueW Fri 26-Dec-08 20:03:03

grin

I don't suppose I used to until I spent two months living in an hotel. And two months staying with DH's family in NZ. Most US (and Aus and NZ) hotels/motels I've stayed in have a guest laundry and for a few dollars you can put a couple of loads through. Hence when we spent most of the summer staying in a Hilton in California, I managed to get out there with just a small case each for DD & me.

All day by pool so

2-3 swimsuits
3-4 sarongs
3 pairs linen trousers
couple of skirts
couple of dresses
couple of pashminas/wraps/shrugs/cardis
cami tops
nice thin but warm sweater/cardis
sandals, beach/pool shoes

I don't have to take lots of medical stuff though, or wetsuits or anything like that!

KatyMac Fri 26-Dec-08 20:05:31

Oh I haven't packed nearly that much

DH & DD have tho' - no wetsuits <yet> but DD has her heart set on her mask & flippers hmm

KatyMac Fri 26-Dec-08 20:07:44

2 small cases & a medium sized one

DH's medication is about a carrier bag full

DD only has a small toiletry sized one for mediation & I have a makeup bag.....are you sensing a theme here

But DH has 1 book, DD has about 6 & we won't discuss how many I am taking........

DadInsteadofMum Fri 26-Dec-08 21:17:41

Iam a bloke so obviosly no.1 is not an issue (one t shirt should do it for a fortnight)

Resealable bags charge depends which airport I have never been charge, but also have used on occasion a fold over sandwich bag.

Suncream goes out of date? I slap the same stuff on the DCs - who have sensitive skin so using facotr 500 aka Dulux Magnolia - from year to year and they don't get burnt.

KatyMac Sat 27-Dec-08 09:32:53

So if a man is naturally predisposed to less luggage - why has my DH more than me & DD put together?hmm

VirginBoffinMum Sat 27-Dec-08 15:45:51

Quite, KatyMac.

I have been known to go on a 2 week holiday with a glorified handbag. I think taking lots of luggage is essentially uncool and makes you look touristy.

My routine packing list for most holidays (some of which I will wear to travel):

3 t-shirts (black, white, red)
2 pairs trousers (black linen, light jeans)
1 little flippy skirt (black)
1 cardigan (black)
1 long sleeved white shirt (linen/cotton mix)
1 white vest top
1 pair shorts (black)
2 swimsuits
Skeleton toiletry kit in sample sizes - buy more out there
A few random accessories - scarves, beads, etc.
Pashmina
Sunglasses
Flip flops
1 pr leather shoes
Pacamac thing
Nightshirt
Paperback book
Pen and paper
3 changes of underwear

Extras for mountain hiking (when I don't have SPD!):
Walking trousers and/or shorts
Sporty t-shirt
Rohan jacket with fleece
Hiking boots and socks

Extras for cold weather (eg Alps);
Silk/wool long johns and long sleeved vest
2 cashmere/wool jumpers, one with polo neck
Ankle boots
Loden coat instead of Pacamac thing
Hat, gloves
No sunglasses or shorts, only 1 swimsuit
Wool trousers or warm jeans instead of linen/cotton
Black opaque tights

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now