Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Relocating to the US

(5 Posts)
johnnydeppsmistress Thu 24-Mar-05 13:15:33

Possible relocation to Georgia, USA (Atlanta or Savannah).... any tips, any recommendations on any subject would be welcome!
Kids are 4 & 7 and I have no idea about the school system over there (both currently at school here). Thanks !

chloeb2002 Sat 26-Mar-05 08:23:05

Have you and the kids been for a trip first? I am in the Uk from Aus and will return to Aus when DD is 5, DD is only two but i would want to know the area before i put her into school. Just a thought? big thing to releocate would want to be sure that you love the exact area and the kids like it too

Earlybird Sat 26-Mar-05 08:36:16

Hi jdm - there was a thread from 2004, by a poster named Gem13. She was possibly moving to Atlanta too, and there was lots of discussion/advice specifically about the area, and about moving to the States in general. Sad to say I've never got the hang of doing links , but if you google in her name you can find the thread. I just looked it up on the archives.....now I should go away and practice links!

Gem13 Sat 26-Mar-05 09:31:43

That's me! I have been (and returned - we went for a month for DH's work but didn't have to relocate) and can share my experiences but would prefer to do it via CAT (so as not to bore others!).

I am going away for a week today but would be happy to fill you in a bit on Atlanta on my return.

Let me know.

Ameriscot2005 Sat 26-Mar-05 11:00:18

JDM,

First of all it is a big move and will have its moments of stress, but it is probably worth it for the experience. Primary aged kids are a great age for spending a few years in the US.

How long would you be going for? That's going to influence some of the decisions you have to make.

The main difference with schools at that age is that American kids start a year or two later than British kids. For your 7 year old, you need to decide whether to keep him/her with her peers or to move her up to be more in keeping with where she is in the UK. The key deciding factor is how long you are going to be there - if it's more than 3 years, I'd recommend integrating with the US system.

You are probably not going to have a lot of choice with your 4 year old. He/she will probably have to start kindergarten when he/she is 5+, along with other 5 and 6 year olds, but you should have the option of a private pre-school for the year prior to KG. KG is usually half-days, but you may have the option of a full-day program for a fee.

If you want any info on other aspects of American life, let me know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now