Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for what to do on a train for 14 hours with 3 children please

(26 Posts)
bensmum3 Mon 21-Mar-05 14:15:28

Hi, in a few weeks we will be doing a return trip to Cornwall on the train,down and back within 5 days, each journey will take 14 hours, can anyone help with ideas of things to pass the time,
children are 21 months, 7 and 10 years,
thankyou

ggglimpopo Mon 21-Mar-05 14:17:55

Message withdrawn

KathH Mon 21-Mar-05 14:42:40

valium?

vict17 Mon 21-Mar-05 14:43:17

could you fly some of the way?!!

giraffeski Mon 21-Mar-05 14:58:06

Message withdrawn

crunchie Mon 21-Mar-05 15:00:17

For the 7 and 10 yrs make them pack their own bag with walkman/gameboy/cards/books/colouring book (new one)/pens etc. Also you could prepare a treasure hunt of things they might see from the window (easy stuff like cars/houses and hard stuff like windmills and goats!! I am sure you could probably get a book of 'travel games' from Wh Smiths or somewhere. What about travel Monopoly etc. Have you booked a seat and made sure you have a table?? Get there EXTRA early to make sure of it.

The 21 month old will be the hardest, again their own bag with age suitable travel stuff. You could wrap up little toys and get out one per hour or teo. Also wrap up snacks like Raisin boxes etc to make a treat of them.

How come it will take 14 hrs? Are you going to Scotland??

suzywong Mon 21-Mar-05 15:01:35

hellfire where are you starting from?

gameboy for the 10 year old surely, could you borrow one or look on ebay?
Walkman with stories on it for the 7 year?

Marina Mon 21-Mar-05 15:01:52

No chance at all you could follow Vict's advice? Doesn't someone fly to Newquay?
I think the big ones will be fine but the 21 monther a major challenge. Best of luck...

suzywong Mon 21-Mar-05 15:03:45

very good point, you'll be up and down the aisles with the 21mo, for a lot of the time, they just can't sit still for more than 20 minutes when they're awake, unless your child is a very placid girl...or boy...but I've never come across a boy like that

giraffeski Mon 21-Mar-05 15:05:57

Message withdrawn

clary Mon 21-Mar-05 15:13:05

bensmum I used to take the train down to London quite a lot (have b/fed on train many times!) but once I had no 3 I decided it was a logistical nightmare and easier to drive. I last did it when ds1 was 3-ish and dd 1-ish, but it was only 2 hrs. Agree with others that yr 21mo old is the challenge.
Recall one trip with DS1 aged maybe 2+ when I had to read the same Apple Tree Farm book about 15 times! (I had others, but no, it had to be that one).
I assume the little one will sleep at least part of that time but yes, you may well find yourself walking endlessly up and down the train (but then I guess you could leave a 10 and 7 yo sitting happily at the table while you did so, couldn’t you?)
Otherwise, have you got any games he/she really loves, like flashcards or something similar? If I were taking a train trip with ds2 (23mo) I would pack a couple of fave jigsaws, half a dozen fave books, endless boxes of healthy snacks (grapes, cherry toms, carrot sticks, raisins). I do that for a half-hour session watching DS1’s swim lesson tho. Oh heck , good luck.

bensmum3 Mon 21-Mar-05 19:27:06

This site is so Good! That's me ordering valium and vodka ,I like the idea of wrapping things up and I have a little bag ds2 can use and dd & ds1 could use their school bags,will definately make sure we have plenty of snacks, maybe I should add a new pair of trainers for myself !
Yes, we live in the west coast of Scotland and are going to my brother-in laws wedding in Cornwall. Dh will be with us too, so we can share the walking up and down.
We have done the same journey in a car, and I found story cassettes were great,I will look into getting some personal players.
Thankyou all so much !
I've never seen a gameboy, but maybe it would be a good idea, any recommendations as I've no idea what to look for ?

helsi Mon 21-Mar-05 19:36:32

1. eyespy
2. give them a list of things that they have to look out of the window and tick off the list e.g. another train, a tunnel, a sheep/cow etc, a red tractor (not blue etc), a canal etc etc....
3. drawing/colouring
4. making up poems/rhymes
5. schoolwork (boo I hear you all say)
6. writing stories
7. snap

giraffeski Mon 21-Mar-05 19:43:41

Message withdrawn

bensmum3 Mon 21-Mar-05 20:55:19

School work will definately be on the agenda for the older two, I was disgusted with my b-i-l for getting married during term time !I've already asked their teacher for some work for them to do.

milward Mon 21-Mar-05 21:01:49

Did a 12hr train trip last summer when dds were 6,3 & 1. Bf smallest often. The others had magazines, thin books, cards, a small electronic toy that made quite noises, crayons, drawing books,the greatest item was a huge disney sticker sheet I'd saved from a magazine. Took water & sandwiches plus packet of biscits - also some loo paper. Trip was fine - I was exhausted afterwards but the little ones really enjoyed it & still talk about it now.

bluesky Thu 24-Mar-05 08:55:14

Harry Potter on their headphones, lasts for hours, my eldest barely noticed the journey to the Lake District last year!

There are some great books for the eldest two, puzzle ocean, puzzle planet etc. by usborne books I think, there is a story with pictures, and you have to find clues and solve puzzles to continue, they are brilliant.

Little electronic games, I found some at Christmas from Boots, (Woolworths too) we have solitaire, pinball, they have a button to make it silent so as not to disturb other people!

Good luck!

Miaou Thu 24-Mar-05 08:57:50

bensmum if I can get you anything from FW and send it over, please let me know - eg puzzle books, tapes, library books etc.

Also you are welcome to stay with us if that's any help!

bensmum3 Sun 03-Apr-05 23:17:44

Thankyou Miaou, I'm trying to get a dentist app't for next thur/fri but if i dont get off I might take you up on that offer ! I've lost your phone no again !
Anyone know where I can get harry potter on tape at a good price ?

jampots Sun 03-Apr-05 23:20:21

we may have some storytapes to lend you if its any good?

Remind me, do you have girls, or boys?

JanH Sun 03-Apr-05 23:21:42

Have a troll through amazon , bensmum - they are not cheap - best price I could see was c £15 for the first one.

Might you be able to get to a library?

FIMAC1 Mon 04-Apr-05 07:17:26

The Libary do story tapes which is where we go and stockpile up on if we have got a long journey

lapsedrunner Mon 04-Apr-05 08:10:08

Borrow a portable DVD player (with headphones!).

treacletart Mon 04-Apr-05 09:04:40

Ive just come back from France with a 21m old by train - 7hrs each way and he was an angel - did have my dh with me too though. I took lots of little cheapo toys, sticker-books, comics, trains etc - the most succesful was a magic slate we got in a party bag, I spent ages drawing little pictures for him to "guess" and then he would wipe them away. Also took lots of raisins, apricots, carrot sticks etc. He slept well too because our connections allowed me to tell him in advance that the next train was the train to go to sleep on. French trains are a dream compared to UK ones though - not least because they're on time, really clean, have great changing facilities and are half empty. Good Luck.

JoolsToo Mon 04-Apr-05 09:06:44

gags and handcuffs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now