Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Buying a holiday place overseas?

(4 Posts)
handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 12:38:47

Anyone done this? Any ideas on how to get started or where to look?

Chandra Mon 21-Mar-05 12:42:02

I would start by renting a property in the place you like, and spend the same amount of time thee that would like to spend if it were your property, if you find the place, facilities, culture, people, food, etc. likable I would take the next step.

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 12:42:50

That's sound advice. Ought really to road test the location first!

miggy Mon 21-Mar-05 15:06:51

Think carefully about when you would use it and how often you could get there, and costs of getting there.
My parents have a holiday house in Spain and its lovely but very rarely used, costs of flights/car hire etc mean only really worth going for at least a week and flights very expensive in the summer.
We have a house in northern france, 4 hrs door to door from our uk house so can just shove kids in car and go. Tends to be used more as worth doing even for weekend in the summer.
Factor in costs carefully, utility/council tax etc all more than you would think (or more than I told DH they would be )plus if you are going to rent it, you will need someone on site to do cleaning etc.
Worth it though for ease of not having to take half the house away with you every time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now