Talk

Advanced search

Fuerteventura??

(12 Posts)
jodee Sat 19-Mar-05 12:11:40

We've already booked our holiday here, staying s/c at Broncemar Beach, I've never been to the Canaries before so wondered what other Mumsnetters thought of the place?

Also need to know if I can buy Marmite and Weetabix over there, ds has limited tastes!

MollyMooMin Mon 21-Mar-05 09:23:28

Hi jodee! Me & my husband went to f'ventura twice before we were married & i can highly recommend it. Where abouts is broncemar beach? When are you going? I'm sure they sold weetabix but not sure about marmite! Have a great time!

kid Mon 21-Mar-05 09:30:00

Maybe you can take some marmite supply with you just incase!
We have never been there, always been put off by the flights only on a certain day (midweek I think) Hope you have a lovely time

jodee Mon 21-Mar-05 20:01:21

Hi MollyMooMin and Kid - Broncemar Beach is in Caleta de Fuste, about 7km from the airport (hope there isn't too much plane noise ...). We are going right at the start of the school summer hols, I've never done the airport thing in the school holidays (not at all, actually) and I'm not looking forward to the experience!

MMM, any good/bad points you can remember about the island?

Kid, ikwym about the length of the flight, fortunately it's short transfer at the other end. I'll probably chuck some marmite in the case then!

fairyfly Mon 21-Mar-05 20:04:52

Im going june 8th so let me know if you want anything reporting back

jodee Mon 21-Mar-05 22:56:06

Hi FF, a review would be great - particularly the food & marmite/weetabix supply!

nightowl Tue 22-Mar-05 00:04:36

hiya, ive been there (was a last minute deal some years back). we were lucky to get a very nice apartment on the main street. it was a lovely holiday, beach was great. not too much nightlife or any lager louts (hate that) just enough to keep a family occupied. i wasnt overly keen on the food though, seemed a bit tastless to me. too much english food on the menu as well...if i go abroad i dont want english food!! (but then some people like that). havent a clue about marmite or weetabix though!

jodee Tue 22-Mar-05 20:37:24

Hi nightowl, glad you had a good time there, that's reassuring! (I don't like English food abroad either, but I'm afraid ds is a bit of a Philistine when it comes to grub).

MollyMooMin Wed 23-Mar-05 10:57:21

Jodee, can't remember any bad points to report! We also stayed in Caleta de fuste, although before DD came along. The only time I remember aircraft noise waswhen we were on the beach as they fly very low over it, but don't let that put you off as we enjoyed watching them come in! Food was fantastic; chinese, portuguese, spanish,italian, etc. Very jealous of you as we're not going anywhere this year as DD is only 11 wks. How old is yours?

fairyfly Wed 23-Mar-05 10:59:14

ok, i will look in a shop for weetabix and marmite, confuse my friends

LouBeeLou Wed 23-Mar-05 12:55:11

Hi jodee, we stayed in Caleta de Fuste a couple of years ago. From what I can remember it's a purpose-built tourist town which IMO was a little tacky but there was everything you needed, plenty of different types of restaurants and shops, all very welcoming to kiddies. I think there was even a few play areas with little trampolines and things.
The beach was clean, but it's a man-made beach so not the white sand that you see in the brochures. We did take a couple of bus tours further along the coast and spent a few days at some lovely beaches, there is also a zoo which is great (I think this was about an hours drive but not sure).
Sorry, have just re-read this - don't want to put a dampener on your hols! We did have a lovely time, as they say it's what you make it!
As for Marmite and Weetabix there were a few mini-supermarkets that sold loads of British brands so I'm sure you would get some.
Lookout for the cats – the island is full of stray cats, you are encouraged not to feed them from your apartment/hotel or they will come back throughout your whole stay. There is a cat charity who provide little shelters where they ask for donations of cat food – you will probably see a few of these if you take a walk around town.
If you are taking little ones there was a kind of hill (not quite a mountain) overlooking Caleta de Fuste which is home to hundreds of little chipmunk-type animals and you can take some nuts to feed them.
Anyway hope you have a lovely time, when are you going?

x

anchovies Wed 23-Mar-05 13:05:21

Have been to fuerteventura twice, stayed in corralejo and caleta de fuste. Beach at caleta de fuste is perfect for children, beach at corralejo (the sand dunes) is beautiful but quite exposed/remote and big waves. Careful of the sun, very strong but breeze is deceptive. Not much plane noise so dont worry about that. Just the right amount to see and do IMO, definitely the quietest of the canaries though. Restaurants are ok but nothing too exciting TBH. Having said that am never overly impressed with holiday food! Didn't see any stray cats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now