Talk

Advanced search

August - Brittany? Wasps?

(10 Posts)
Zaor Thu 17-Mar-05 21:28:44

I've never been on hols in Aug before and want somewhere not too hot. Brittany looks good but can some of you who have been there already tell me if there are wasps there? The wasps in Ireland have been very bad the last 2 years and as I'm terrified of them they would ruin my holiday. I'll go further south to get away from them if necessary...

FlatJan Thu 17-Mar-05 21:33:09

There will be wasps everywhere in August, Zaor. Going south won't escape then. Holidaying in June would be safer.

Enid Thu 17-Mar-05 21:38:27

There are aoutats in Brittany in August - much worse than wasps...

Carla Thu 17-Mar-05 21:40:03

Wasps, mid March, Oxford. Three of them. In the blinkin' house

FlatJan Thu 17-Mar-05 21:43:35

Those are last year's, Carla! (Not much consolation I suppose but prob be dead by June.)

JPM Thu 17-Mar-05 21:48:43

We were in S.France last August Zaor and wasps were a real pain - in fact they were HORNETS!! and ruined our enjoyment of the pool area as they lived in a tree right next to the pool. We were at my dad's house who's used to them and just said to ignore them as they were after his grapes not us! Ha Ha - not easy to ignore them when you have a 2 year old and a baby around. May not be meaning me harm but bloody great hornet flying past while i'm in nothing but bikini is terrifying!! So my advice is further south will not make much difference - avoiding August may be the answer if at all possible for you. At my dad's house the year before last there were none but it was JUNE/JULY. Good Luck

Carla Thu 17-Mar-05 21:51:50

Zaor, I wondered why you thought going south would avoid them? I thought they were everywhere. I hate them with a vengence, but even parts of the UK are really bad some years.

FlatJan, will these geriatrics have been feathering their nest for this year's brood, then?

Carla Thu 17-Mar-05 21:52:40

And another thing - what part of the food chain do they fulfil? Hmmmmm????

Zaor Thu 17-Mar-05 22:01:02

Friends who go to Spain told me that they never see any there in August - thats why I thought going south would be a good idea. Maybe I should head to Iceland? Its great to see that someone else is getting them in March - but the one that visited me yesterday didn't last too long!!

FlatJan Thu 17-Mar-05 22:01:38

Apparently they are wonderful parents, Carla.

We had one build a sweet little nest on the ceiling of our shed and DH decided to knock the nest + mum into an ice cream box and take it away; when he took the lid off she zoomed straight back to where the nest had been, poor love, and then had no idea where her babies were.

I still hate 'em mind you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now