Talk

Advanced search

First time away from home and parents for dd2 - for how long, advice please???

(7 Posts)
Wills Thu 17-Mar-05 10:19:21

As I've said in another mail life for dh and I has been extremely stressful recently and we really need some time with each other to simply relax and talk. My mother-in-law has very lovingly offered to look after the two girls. My dd1 is 5 and will probably be fine although she's not stayed with that granny and grandad before. DD2 however is 19 months and has never spent the night without at least one of her parents although she is used to spending the day without them as we both work. I had thought to get away for 2 or 3 nights but should I restrict this to only one? Both the dds will be with each other sleeping in the same room and with the grandparents who they see approximately once a fortnight. Is two nights away too awful to contemplate?

zubb Thu 17-Mar-05 10:21:29

I think 2-3 days is fine at 19 months, and it will do you good.

ThomCat Thu 17-Mar-05 10:30:51

No it's not too awful. You just said you're stressed and need this time away. You're going to be a happier and therefore better mummmy to them by having a proper break. They will love being spoilt by grandparents and it'll be exciting and fun for them and sorry, but they won't miss you, they'll be having too much of a good time! It's good for you and DH, it's good for the girls and it's good for grand poarents. Everyone is a winner. Go for a long as you can you need it and deserve it. have a great time.

Wills Thu 17-Mar-05 10:52:48

Oh thank you thank you thank you. It sounds dramatic to say that mine and dh's relationship is in trouble because we do still love each other passionately but its got to the point were we never simply talk - talking is about getting basic facts of living out and then collapsing into bed. Like - don't forget school disco and medicine for dd1 or can you pay that bill etc etc. But at the same time I'm desperate that the kids don't suffer. Stupidly if someone where asking my advice I'd probably be saying exactly the same thing. We're planning to stay within an hours drive of them so its far enough away that I can't pop in every 5 seconds but near enough that we can come back if necessary.

Thank you.

Bozza Thu 17-Mar-05 11:09:07

Sounds the right thing to do wills. Know the thing about not getting chance to talk. I have been wanting to have a chat to DH about Easter for a week now and not had chance.

Pamina3 Thu 17-Mar-05 11:14:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThomCat Thu 17-Mar-05 11:18:36

in my humble opinion having time away, you time, you & DH time, being happy in yourself beacuse you've had that time can only make you a better parent. I know if I stayed in every night for a month I would be as miserable as hell, D and I would argue and I wouldn't be a good mum.

This time away will benefit everyone involved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now