Talk

Advanced search

All scottish Mnetters here please!!!

(11 Posts)
Newbarnsleygirl Mon 14-Mar-05 12:09:20

Can you help?

DH wants to go snowboarding in Aviemore. We've agreed that he'll do it on his own and I will look after dd during the day. My only problem is what does Aviemore have to offer for things to do? Am I going to be stuck in the Hotel or is there lots of things to get out and see?

Hayls Mon 14-Mar-05 12:27:18

I went years ago (when I was quite young)with my mum and dad and seem to remember there was quite a lot to do. A friend spent a summer there working in a hotel and it went ok. Sorry it's so vague but at least it's a bump!

scotlou Mon 14-Mar-05 12:29:23

How old is your wee one?

The Hilton at Coylumbridge (close to Aviemore) has a huge softplay area and arcade games, mini golf etc that non residents can use. It's discounted if you stay in the hotel, but not too expensive.

There's the mountain railway close by - good fun, although when we went teh mist was right down and we saw absolutely noithing.

Highland Wildlife Park - again quite good but it poured when we went.

The Landmark Forest Heritage Park - that's great - you pay an entrance fee and there is a really great walk through the forest with thinks to look at - including a red squirrel feeding area. there's a kid's play park and water slide things (incuded in teh pric e- don't worry, you don't get wet) I really enjoyed that with our 2 - they're 2 and 4 1/2. There's loads to see and the waterslide's are good fun. I was allowed to take the wee one on with me.
Although check with them first about what's open - not sure that the water slides are open all year.
There's also a Reindeer centre close to Aviemore - we didn't visit that as didn't have enough time.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 14-Mar-05 12:31:31

She's 17 months.

I didn't know if it was right out in the sticks. I didn't want to be stuck in doors all day!

Is there a town centre as well?

All those suggestions are great.

scotlou Mon 14-Mar-05 12:40:18

There is a town centre but to be honest it's not up to much. A couple of mountaineering shops, 2 -3 tourist shops, a supermarket, a book shop and that's about it. You will need a car during the day if your dh is elsewhere. She will enjoy the softplay place though - they have a baby area and a toddler area as well as the part for bigger kids. They've also got loads of these rides you see outside supermarkets - so your money goes quite quickly!
Where are you staying? The Hilton is very child orientated - kids high teas, entertainment etc and they do family rooms - double room for parents with a small room off it which can take a cot. I didn't like the food much but the kids had a great time.

phatcat Mon 14-Mar-05 12:43:54

Will you have your own transport during the day? If so I'd recommend a visit to Inverness (about half an hour by car) if you get a nice day - there's a lovely riverside walk, some decent restaurants - the Pizza Express is v. toddler friendly - and a new shopping centre in the middle of town. There are a couple of good shopping malls on the outskirts too - one with a huge Borders bookshop and another with a Matalan and Brantano. The Aquadrome is also great for young ones - toddler pool, slides, wave machines, family friendly changing, etc.

Prettybird Mon 14-Mar-05 12:44:15

There is a town centre as well with various wee coffee shops. Shoppoing wise, if you're wanting to browse through lots of outdoor grear (fleeces, jackets etc), you'll be spoilt for choice. Not so sure about other shops though.

Unless you go and drop him off though, you will be stuck without transport in Aviemore, as the ski area is actually a wee bit out of the town.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 14-Mar-05 15:35:40

Thanks for the info.

No I won't have a car and we haven't booked a place to stay yet. DH has looked at a couple of guest houses but I might have a look at the hilton. He will be driving so it might be wiser to stay somewhere more central and get him to drive.

nailpolish Mon 14-Mar-05 16:07:25

another recommendation for the hilton here - vey child friendly, and they have great deals on occasionally.

seb1 Mon 14-Mar-05 23:11:46

Found this site useful when we spent holidays there

kids scotland

HTH

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 14-Mar-05 23:14:15

Thats brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now