Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do You Need Photographic Id for Babies on Domestic Flights?

(19 Posts)
Fimbo Sun 13-Mar-05 23:15:09

Help!! Thinking of flying back to Scotland for Easter and don't have any form of id for ds apart from his birth certificate. Does anyone know? The airline's website is not very clear. TIA

phatcat Mon 14-Mar-05 00:03:11

I think it will depend on the airline Fimbo - google "photographic id" + "domestic flight" (UK pages only) and a number of relevant links come up. This one suggests that easyJet will accept a birth certificate for young children, but the page date seems to be 2002 so might not be current. I think it would be wisest to ring the airline in question and get it from the horses mouth.

Socci Mon 14-Mar-05 00:14:23

Message withdrawn

HUNKERMUNKER Mon 14-Mar-05 00:22:04

What ID do adults need for a domestic flight? Has been years since I flew internally (so to speak...)!

Pruni Mon 14-Mar-05 07:43:27

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Mon 14-Mar-05 07:59:26

HM, passport or photo driver lisence usually. No idea about children but agree you should ask the airline.

Tissy Mon 14-Mar-05 08:49:53

With Ryanair children under 16 don't need photo id if travelling within the Uk/ ROI. Don't know about Easyjet, have never used them with dd.

HTH

Hayls Mon 14-Mar-05 08:50:46

If you're flying with Easyjet you don't need ID for under 2's. Over 2's normally need their own ID, I think. I fly frequently with my 1yo and never needed it. I did check with them but other airlines might be different

Eve Mon 14-Mar-05 09:03:37

....personally I wouldn't take the risk.

I fly to NI frequently with various carriers and am usually asked for children ID.

grumpyfrumpy Mon 14-Mar-05 09:07:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gem13 Mon 14-Mar-05 14:02:30

We flew Easyjet from London to Edinburgh last year with a 2 year old and a 6 month old.

Didn't have ID for either of them.

Expectantmum Mon 14-Mar-05 14:13:16

To be honest, I think it all depends on whom is on the check-in desk. Adults definitely need photographic ID on domestic flights with EasyJet. My Scottish friends flew down at the end of last year to us with their one year old and were told they needed photographic ID for her, although they were never asked for it at check-in. Might be better to have it and not need it.

Fimbo Mon 14-Mar-05 14:20:48

Thanks everyone. Will probably be using Easyjet, so will give them a call and find out. Problem is now if I do need id I suppose the only thing I can get for him is a passport, which I didn't really want to do as we are not planning to go abroad or anything in the near future. Also a passport is not going to arrive by the time we go (Good Friday). Don't know if a fancy an 8 hr drive there and back for a long weekend. Oh well we shall see.............

Expectantmum Mon 14-Mar-05 14:24:37

Where abouts do you live and where abouts in Scotland? My friends drove down at the end of last year from Glasgow to London but drove though the night as they wanted to make sure their DS slept for most of the journey and I think they managed it in just under six hours and I think that was with two breaks. Might not be appealing but driving through the night might be an option.

Aero Mon 14-Mar-05 14:27:08

I travel frequently to NI also with Easyjet and have taken ID on every occasion which has been asked for on most. It did mean getting a passport for ds2 which is a real pain as he's never left the UK. Costs a lot too! I wouldn't take the risk of not having it, personally.

Fimbo Mon 14-Mar-05 14:30:21

We live in Norwich which doesn't have the best road network (still lots (and I mean lots!) of single carriage roads, its great at Easter time because you get stuck behind loads and loads of caravans!! We have done it loads of times before when we only had dd (now nearly 7) but ds (15 mths) is a real livewire and doesn't take kindly to sitting for longs periods in the car (despite plenty of stops). Dh is not keen to drive through the night in case he falls asleep - he has a very stressful job and will probably be working the night before we travel and I can't drive which doesn't help. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Expectantmum Mon 14-Mar-05 14:33:05

Well hopefully Easyjet will just accept the birth certificate, or you could just try turning up for the flight and when asked for ID, just say you spoke to the Customer Services people when you booked who said that you didn't need ID for a baby under the age of 2. Might work! Good luck and enjoy your trip!

SoupDragon Mon 14-Mar-05 14:41:05

According to Easyjet site "Children under 16 years of age travelling on UK or French domestic flights can travel without photo identification provided that they are travelling with an accompanying adult."

linnet Mon 14-Mar-05 22:12:26

When we fly to London from Glasgow we all have to have photographic ID. DD2 got her passport at 7 weeks just so she could have ID. I'd check with the airline but be aware that you might be asked at one end and not the other. WE flew with British Midlands and when leaving Glasgow all they wanted to see was my credit card that was used to book the flights, had done them online. On the way home from London the Guy wanted to see photographic ID for everyone in the party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now