Talk

Advanced search

Anyone travelled with a toddler on the London - Scotland Caledonian sleeper...

(7 Posts)
toddlerhip Fri 31-Oct-08 14:09:28

...and how did you work the sleeping arrangements?

Lapsedrunner Fri 31-Oct-08 20:43:00

no, but travelled on sleeper on continent several times with DS. When he was 2 he didn't have his own buck but I slept head to toe with him in lower bunk. He slept like a log.......I didn't grin, but it could have been worse.

toddlerhip Sat 01-Nov-08 08:58:21

It's a good idea, but their bunks are very narrow and i'm 6 foot and pregnant so don't think there's going to be much room. Also not sure i'd trust myself not to kick him accidentally. He has a travel tent but it's going to be too big for the cabin. Anyone got any more ideas? He usually sleeps in a cot.

milkybarsrus Sat 01-Nov-08 14:51:44

sleeping bag on floor or a first ready bed.

Lapsedrunner Sat 01-Nov-08 19:39:19

....floor is fine but take some kind of covering (or use something off the bunk bed) as train floors very,very dirty in my experience (even in sleepers).

squeakypop Sat 01-Nov-08 19:46:31

We have done this - 6 people in four berths. It was a tight squeeze. The compartments are very bijoux, but well appointed (gosh, I could be an estate agent).

I think we divided ourselves up boys and girls. DH had the two boys (then 9 and 7) in one compartment, and I had the two girls with me (4 and 2). I think the kids just went top to toe in the bottom bunks.

The tricky thing with the sleeper is that you set off at something like 11pm, so you have to keep your little ones on the go until then.

I would only do it if you were under time pressure. When we did it, we were living in the US and visiting the UK, based just outside London. We visited my parents in Edinburgh, but given we were only in the country for just over a week, we couldn't afford giving up two days to driving. It was ideal to use the sleeper. If time weren't a problem, I would go the standard 125.

terf Sat 01-Nov-08 23:57:08

Hi we just did the sleeper weekend before last and I wouldnt recommend it - but then again we had a bad experience as the train was delayed by 3 and a half hours out of Euston. I'm pregnant and found the bunks a bit uncomfortable as you're lurching around and they are narrow. We did wonder how you'd travel with a baby or toddler in the compartment as they are very compact. But there were people a couple of cabins up from us travelling with a toddler. If its just you and your son I'd probably get a first class cabin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now