Talk

Advanced search

How do you sterlilise when you are away?

(15 Posts)
inscotland Sat 25-Oct-08 10:17:35

I am probably looking too much into this but I can't work out what to do! We're going to London for 2 days when DS will be 5 months old but I am not sure of the best way to sterlilise? We'll use cartons for ease but he's fussy with teats so don't want to go down the pre sterilised and throw away bottles.

Thinking taking my own bottles and a couple of milton tablets and sterilising over night in the sink at the hotel ready for the next day and just taking all the bottles I will need with me. Can you think of an easier way?

lilymolly Sat 25-Oct-08 10:19:57

other way would be microwavable bags but would you have a microwave.

You can get bags for milton tablets too to save you using the sink.

If it where me- I would prob just use boiling water and give them a good clean.

inscotland Sat 25-Oct-08 10:22:42

Funnily enough that was my husband's suggestion. Just use boiling water from the kettle!

squatchette Sat 25-Oct-08 10:27:28

After reading lots on this (search under sterilising) i decided to stop and my dd3 is only 7 weeks old.I wouldn't have even considered it with dds 1 and 2 .Dd1 was tube fed for 3 years too so have done more than my fair share of it!

bran Sat 25-Oct-08 10:30:52

If you're going to use Milton tablets then take a couple of large freezer bags and some clip things (Lakeland sell them), then you can still use your sink. I would leave the bags sitting in the sink when you're not using it though, just in case they spring a leak.

Salleroo Sat 25-Oct-08 10:32:09

May be a good time to stop sterilising and just use boiling water.

SweetApril Sat 25-Oct-08 11:19:31

I agree it would be a good time to stop sterilising and just use boiling water but just in case you're a natural-born worrier (like me!).... If you did have access to a microwave (I'm sure the hotel would oblige) Tesco do a great travel sterilising box about the size of a lunchbox for a fiver. Pretty roomy - I could get two bottles plus breast pump in mine. Think it takes about 8 mins to "cook".

Tommy Sat 25-Oct-08 11:21:53

I took an old ice cream tub (or tuperware type box - big enough for bottles)with me and a bottle of Milton (or tablets) - you have to use cold water with that. No problem - put all the bottles you are going to take in the tub along with the tabltst and set it all up when you arrive. Very straightfoward and you don't have to ask for micrwaves etc

solidgoldskullonastick Sat 25-Oct-08 11:25:22

MOthercare used to do a Travel Sterising Kit which was a stong polythene bag with a couple of sterlising tablets, you just filled it up with water. They might still stock the things, have a look.

However, boiling water will do just as well, honest.

stitch Sat 25-Oct-08 11:25:51

if there i s a microwave, then just use yourmicrowave steriliser.
if a cooker, a pot full of boiling water.
but, breastfed babies never ever need anything sterilised. so, i think that if you simply cleaned well, and then rinsed out with boileing water from the kettle, it should be fine

Star1ightExpress Sat 25-Oct-08 11:29:29

I wouldn't bother tbh. Just very hot water and a good clean. In a short while you'll be giving food and water and you'll drive yourself insane trying to figure out how to keep everything sterile.

inscotland Sat 25-Oct-08 12:29:38

I thought you had to sterilise for a year! Even better at 6 months!

Star1ightExpress Sat 25-Oct-08 12:47:55

inascotland You don't HAVE to sterilise at all. Many parents of prem babies are told it is actually better not to.

BUT, old milk can harbour quite nasty bacteria so you DO need to make sure your equipment is clean. Some find sterilising an added safety measure!

(One they can move a little babies begin to lick the floor, their hands etc.)

shhhh Sat 25-Oct-08 14:14:39

by playtex bottle off the internet, marvelous thngs...get your lo used to the teat before you go away (if you have a fussy lo...) and all you do while away is use liners (as provided), lo drinks the milk, throw liner away, start again etc..

All you need to do is clean the teat and run under hot water but thats all...
so easy and btw we have also used milton tablets etc BUT you still have to take a bag away to steralise bottle in, need washing liquid, a bottle brush etc and tbh its quite a shit job when away...playtex bottle & liners are so easy.smile.

Salleroo Sat 25-Oct-08 18:30:43

I was the same, though you had to sterilise till they were one. Then at 6 months I took her into work for a visit and my friend who has all the best advice mentioned that she is licking everything she can so sterilising bottles is kind of pointless now. Obv, they still get a good scrub. Oh happy day, getting rid of that bloody sterilishing box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now