Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where would you go for a long weekend in July (without the children)?

(22 Posts)
Mum2Ela Mon 07-Mar-05 09:55:13

DH wants to take me away for our 2nd anniversary in July, and we are going to be leaving the children at home [worried emoticon].

We are thinking somewhere european, Nice, Barcelona? Or New York, perhaps Las Vegas?

Where would you go? One of the above / none of the above or somewhere completly different?

WestCountryLass Mon 07-Mar-05 13:51:23

Amsterdam. In fact I am on a promise that once my little minx stops feeding, we will go their on our own for the weekend. Its almost worth weanign her, but not quite

zubb Mon 07-Mar-05 13:54:35

Barcelona out of your list I think.
I'd love to go to Iceland / Riga or Vilnius at the moment.

Mum2Ela Mon 07-Mar-05 15:55:15

westcountrylass we went to Amsterdam the Valentines weekend after DD was born (she was about 5 mths) and we left her at home, she stayed with MIL. I cried all weekend for her,worst weekdn of my life.

Merlin Mon 07-Mar-05 16:16:45

Barcelona is fab in my opinion and you get the best of both worlds with a beach and all the city and cultural stuff as well. New York - great as well but could be a bit stifling in July - I'd check the temps! I think Vegas would be a bit warm at that time of year as well. Budapest is an interesting city, Bruges, Reims (great for champagne tasting to celebrate your anniversary), Nice is OK, but remember visiting a beautiful little hilltop village called Eze with the most stunning hotel right at the top. They don't allow cars, they send porters for your luggage!!

lapsedrunner Mon 07-Mar-05 17:21:57

Vienna

Mud Mon 07-Mar-05 17:25:26

Italy .. Florence, Rome

or Barcelona

Merlin Mon 07-Mar-05 17:31:07

Amalfi Coast - Sorrento? Haven't been but a friend is going back for 3rd time this summer so must be good!

mummytosteven Mon 07-Mar-05 17:32:50

what you after Mum2Ela

sun? shopping? museums? beaches?

Keane Mon 07-Mar-05 17:36:23

anywhere
Know its cheesy but I like Paris!

Mum2Ela Mon 07-Mar-05 19:50:02

was thinking somewhere with sun and beaches, bit of shopping, nothing too cultural, just want to relax!

Would be ideal if we could fly from Cardiff or Bristol, so BMInany or Easyjet.

mummytosteven Mon 07-Mar-05 19:51:10

barcelona i think then. you should be able to get an easyjet flight there. also ryanair fly relatively near (Girona I think)

WestCountryLass Mon 07-Mar-05 20:17:21

Oh no! Well maybe not Amserdam then! I want to go to Vienna if that helps

loudmum Mon 07-Mar-05 20:33:40

definitely barcelona -- best place for a grown up weekend ever -- great shops, bars, restaurant, clubs, there is a beach and mountains... it has it all and no jet lag !! Went on our honeymoon and it is fab....

Beetroot Mon 07-Mar-05 20:56:30

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Mon 07-Mar-05 20:59:36

Does it matter????? What about just going to a posh, very VERY posh and lovely, hotel and retreating to your suite with a bottle of champagne?

<MI retreats, at the very thought of child-free partner-time>

Have a fabulous time, whatever you decide!

Mum2Ela Tue 08-Mar-05 00:03:01

How about Dubai? Anyone been there?

grumpyfrumpy Wed 09-Mar-05 13:15:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bonym Wed 09-Mar-05 13:20:38

Barcelona is fab - have been twice and love it. Dubai is also wonderful for a long weekend (done it twice and witha 7 hr flight it is do-able) but would probably be too hot in July. We went to Vienna at Christmas and it's a beautiful city but part of the charm (for me anyway) was the fact that it was Christmas. I would probably plump for Barcelona (we went last July and weather was perfect)

meysey Wed 09-Mar-05 13:38:26

bacrelona and you can pop along to the coastal resort of Sitges for great seafood and a beach

FairyMum Wed 09-Mar-05 13:39:08

Rome!

bonym Wed 09-Mar-05 17:09:22

Ooh yes - Sitges is lovely - only about 1/2hr on the train.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now