Talk

Advanced search

Help, need answer in the next hour-would you take your child on this holiday?

(14 Posts)
Pawslikepaddington Fri 17-Oct-08 21:29:50

Am an sp at uni-a uni ski trip has been organised-very very well organised, heavily subsidised etc-£299 each for a week skiing in france, £40 for a week's equip hire, and £40 for a week's lessons. They are fine with dd going, but it is entirely 19-24 y/o's bar us-would you go? It's so CHEAP! It has been running for 85 years or something, so is seriously well organised. Would you?

Anifrangapani Fri 17-Oct-08 21:31:43

I went on one of those.... great fun. Let her go :d

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Oct-08 21:33:12

no, I wouldn't because who will look after her while you ski? you will end up not skiing, and just having a snow holiday with her surely?
not much fun

Pawslikepaddington Fri 17-Oct-08 21:33:42

Yes, I love you! I want to go, but the logistics officer emailed back and said yes she can go, but that I should seriously reconsider as it is a university holiday so now I feel bad, but surely a pair of earplugs will cure all ills-she will sleep like a log after all that skiing! grin

Pawslikepaddington Fri 17-Oct-08 21:35:13

It's a proper ski resort so they will have some kiddy things on too, and if not it is still a holiday abroad in the snow for £300, which seems jolly good-you can barely get out of England for that!

artichokes Fri 17-Oct-08 21:36:16

Is she old enough to ski?
Could you afford ski school for her until she was good enough to ski the same slopes as you?
Would you be in a chalet sharing with loads of raucous sudents who will keep her away all night?

If the answer to the first two questions is yes, and the answer to the third is no, then I would go.

Pawslikepaddington Fri 17-Oct-08 21:36:49

Have googled it and it is a family resort-yes!

cat64 Fri 17-Oct-08 21:41:51

Message withdrawn

Pawslikepaddington Fri 17-Oct-08 21:56:17

Hmm, that's true. We live in college so I am so used to people just accepting her and letting us get on with our day to day stuff that I forget other people would react differently blush. My mum always used to take me on coach trips for hols as it was all we could afford and I was always the only child there, but they were oldies, not students, I forget that they aren't the same!

Pawslikepaddington Fri 17-Oct-08 21:58:06

She is old enough to ski, and they have a ski school, and we would be in our own apartment but in the same block as the others, but we have to get a coach there and back. It's an over night job, so she would sleep for some of it, but would annoy quite a few people before we even got there I think!

LIZS Sat 18-Oct-08 11:07:32

How old ? Are there any other children going? We've been with a large group including a contingent of that age group which was fine but the majority were primary school aged with parents so plenty of company and our own group lessons.

Twiglett Sat 18-Oct-08 11:11:11

no .. becase you'll be subjecting her to a group of 19 to 24 year old students on a cheap holiday .. and they will be drinking, drugging, shagging and being totally .. well single and without a care in the world

even the logistics officer has said you should reconsider

would you take her on a club 18-30 holiday?

serin Sun 19-Oct-08 23:09:11

What did you decide Paddington?

If you are prepared to drive, why not consider getting together with a couple of close friends and hiring somewhere in the French Alps. If you go at Easter it should work out even cheaper (could point you in right direction for accom) and it might be a safer bet.

Pawslikepaddington Mon 20-Oct-08 19:20:18

I think we are going to go separately, it sold out before we booked anyway, but the Alps idea is GREAT-where would you suggest? xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now