Talk

Advanced search

anyone been to Malta over Christmas and is it cold?

(4 Posts)
Gemzooks Tue 14-Oct-08 21:36:02

Looking at winter sun and depressed by reading about Sharm el Sheik and the canary islands. Malta seems much more charming and not loud. we have 2 year old son and just want to relax somewhere with a nice beach. thinking of Gozo.
but how freezing will the sea be in Dec? anyone been there then? any tips much appreciated

misi Wed 15-Oct-08 01:59:06

malta has few beaches as such, lots of limestone rock beaches though with old salt pans dug out!!
Mellieha and selmun bays to the north are nice and sandy and comino is gorgeous. I was there some years back in mid december and it was quite warm, the summer heat can be unbearable so I always go in april/may or from september onwards. not sure about the sea temp, but sea temp does lag behind land temp, takes longer to warm in the spring/early summer and longer to cool later in the year normally.
only been to victoria and gharb on gozo but I don't think there are many sandy beaches on that island either.

have a look at the interactive map from the maltese tourist board, hopefully I have got the right page!! [[ http://www.visitmalta.com/includes/map/popup1.html]] and then click on the beaches and bays tab

Gemzooks Wed 15-Oct-08 05:15:23

thanks misi, will have a look!

anyfucker Wed 15-Oct-08 07:34:05

I have been in March and it was sunny but cool.

Not warm enough to swim.

Just warm enough to sunbathe for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: