Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

top new york shopping tips please!

(22 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Fri 04-Mar-05 14:15:32

We're going on wednesday for a week...so good places to shop? for clothes for me (i like jigsaw type stuff) for ds and any other tips gratefully received!

CountessDracula Fri 04-Mar-05 14:17:11

Century 21.

Right by ground zero, Fulton St tube.

Pile em high sell em cheap (really cheap) sort of place with amazing bargains

Heathcliffscathy Fri 04-Mar-05 14:17:36

ta

Chuffed Fri 04-Mar-05 15:18:57

catch the public bus to Jersey Gardens (about $7 return). It is a factory shop mall and things are far cheaper than at Century 21. Lots of different stores.

miggy Fri 04-Mar-05 15:42:32

Went last weekend. One of the best things we bought was a painted name sign for each of the kids. In Chinatown, there are really talented artists who paint them on the spot, each letter is a dragon or pandas or monkeys etc and you can pick some animals each child likes. For one of ours for example we had lots of dragons and dd had butterflies and flowers. Only about £8.
Dont get them done elsewhere, we saw some outside of chinatown but not nearly so good.
Also in that area, canal street vendors are good and fun!
have a lovely time.

Heathcliffscathy Fri 04-Mar-05 20:09:31

oh thanks so much, will do both...am starting to get v excited rather than just apprehensive about the flight and jetlag!

anyone else?

nappybaglady Fri 04-Mar-05 22:03:27

hope you don't mind a hijack sophable - am watching this thread with interest.

Going to NY in may and will need to buy new pushchair/buggy when get there. Anyone any suggestions to add re baby shops as well as lovely clothes (wish I was tall enough for Jigsaw!)

Heathcliffscathy Sat 05-Mar-05 11:39:22

hijack away...we're thinking of buying a new buggie while we're out there, so i'm interested too!

Heathcliffscathy Sun 06-Mar-05 00:44:52

anymore for anymore?

Heathcliffscathy Sun 06-Mar-05 18:31:50

anyone know a good area to shop in, the equivalent of ken high st in londo for eg?

MaggieW Sun 06-Mar-05 18:53:42

34th Street is a good place to shop. Pretty sure there's a website for it so have a look to see what's on offer. Macy's is on the corner of it and Broadway, there's a v large Old Navy and along the other end, which I seem to remember is where the Empire State is, you can find Banana Republic, Gap and the other American fashion chains. Club Monaco, further south near Greenwich village, is lovely for clothes, as is J Crew (Rockerfeller Centre). They all have websites so have a peek before you go to see if they're your sort of thing! Top tip for Macys is that you can leave all your shopping bags there while you continue shopping ie stick your other carrier bags inside the bags with your Macys purchases and then check them in!

melsy Sun 06-Mar-05 19:10:41

Lexington avenue , one of the exits from Bloomingdales has a BIG Zara and other good commercial fashion stores. Theres some good little diners round there for early cheap but good brekkies b4 shopping.

tamula Sun 06-Mar-05 19:11:40

Century 21

5th avenue has a huge selection of various stores for various budgets

Eat out in Greenwich village, it kind of reminds me of a bigger and better Covent Garden in London

And there's a street near to Chinatown that does fantastic fake designer gear, let me get back to you on the name...

I found Harlem to a be a bargin basement place, lots of quality good stuff cheap, but not everyone can do Harlem I found it a lovely friendly and vibrant place during the day but we got the cab to turn back when we went at night

melsy Sun 06-Mar-05 19:13:23

This looks good for checking stuff out new york shopping guide

Bearess Sun 06-Mar-05 19:18:38

Century 21 yes yes yes, got a pair of earl jeans there for about £35 and pair of Dune black boots, about £45, would have been double in UK. A bit jumble sale-y but worth a visit, try to do it in the week though. There's a Kenneth Cole near Rockefeller Center at 610 Fifth Avenue. Banana Republic is nice, sister company to Gap but more dressy, Jigsaw kind of prices. You are so lucky to be going, have a lovely time!

katierocket Sun 06-Mar-05 19:19:12

didn't pph go recently? bet she's got some top tips

Heathcliffscathy Mon 07-Mar-05 14:21:34

oh thanks ladies...maggie 34th west or east if that isn't too stupid a question?

canal st for fake gear i believe...

great tip re zara melsy thanks

pph, any tips?

ajmum Mon 07-Mar-05 16:05:22

You can get your tax back at Bloomingdales - just go to the customer service section with your passport (I think) and they give you a discount card. Made a Marc Jacobs jacket seem more affordable than it probably was!! Other shops might do this (Saks, Macys)

The shops around Rockefeller are good - J Crew, Banana Republic and Kenneth Cole. Wasn't that impressed by Century 21 - it's like a large TK Maxx. The shops in Soho are also good - Kate Spadee and Coach if you like handbags, more J Crew, Gap, Banana Rep...

nappybaglady Mon 07-Mar-05 21:31:16

sophable - have a graet time. Make sure you post your top tips when you get back

soapbox Mon 07-Mar-05 21:38:50

Sophable - at the Rockerfeller centre on the RHS looking at it from 5th Avenue on the same level as the skating rink there is a fab restaurant with nice lunchy kind of stuff (adn highchairs).

The cocktails are great and food is really good and reasonably priced given the location. My friend and I passed a lovely lunch time sipping cocktails and watching the skaters glide past on the rink. It is really worth a visit!

I found the times square area a bit too touristy so I wouldn't waste much time around there!

My favourite area was SOHO - I really loved all teh little boutiques and if you have any film mad friends you can buy scripts for famous films from the street seller stands for about $10 each. They made lovely pressies for a couple of friends of mine who are cinema mad

Hope you have a fab time!

nappybaglady Mon 21-Mar-05 23:21:06

How was it Sophable? Did you have a great time? Any top tips?

dyzzidi Tue 22-Mar-05 17:24:44

How long are you going for I went with a friend as DP was workingupstate he came to pick us up for a day and we went to Woodstock designer outlet. It was shopping heaven I got Versace shoes reduced from £600 to £40 yes £40.

me and my freind had to drop bags at the car twice it was so cheap!!!

Still spent over £1000 though as bought all my christmas presents

They do have a bus link from the city as its was about 1 hours drive, but I have to say if you are going for a couple of days stay in the city there is too much to see as it is without losing a dy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now