Talk

Advanced search

pushchairs for big toddlers

(23 Posts)
cluelessagain Wed 08-Oct-08 20:47:58

Hi there does anyone know of a reasonably priced buggy/ 3 wheeler that has a higher weight limit than just 15kg. My dd has just had her second birthday is above average height and weighs 17kg, her buggy is groaning under the strain!

avenadrinkofblood Wed 08-Oct-08 20:49:17

Some of the Maclaren ones are very sturdy. Have a look at their web site. smile

cluelessagain Wed 08-Oct-08 20:53:21

I've tried them. even the woman in mothercare said they can't guarantee them above 15kg

gigglewitch Wed 08-Oct-08 20:57:18

my very little almost-3yo who is the same weight as your dd rides happily in a mothercare Urban Detour which we got off ebay in the summer. my dd has walking difficulties so we needed the bigger pram to last her another 18mo or so. her 5yo (average sized) DS can fit in it nicely too grin so may be worth you researching.
As you probably already know, don't touch M&P they all seem way too flimsy.

cluelessagain Wed 08-Oct-08 21:04:36

thanks for that wink. I'll have a look at the urban detour

malfoy Wed 08-Oct-08 21:06:18

our Techno XT seems to be coping well with my two huge children.

gigglewitch Wed 08-Oct-08 21:08:02

urban detour spec wink

oooh 10% off if you have to / want to buy new

issyissyissy Wed 08-Oct-08 21:12:58

We have just bought a landrover pushchair for dd who is 2 off Ebay as had exactly the same problem. My ds is 5 now and we went through loads of pushchairs trying to get one to suit him once he got to that age. The landrover one is perfect, so wish i had bought it for ds. He even fits in it now with room. Easy to push and steer and very light to pack up. We went to London last week and it was no problem on train or tube- perfect!!

Sawyer64 Wed 08-Oct-08 21:14:52

Have you thought about a "Special Needs" one.

Might seem a little extreme,but have seen them on E bay and they are just a little sturdier and bigger than an Umbrella buggy,and obviously alot cheaper than buying new.

See [[ http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000IERJNE/sr=1-1/qid=1223496839/ref=sr11/203-1610140-5386315 ?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=78253031&mcb=core here]]

Sawyer64 Wed 08-Oct-08 21:15:58

Sorry ,seehere

cluelessagain Wed 08-Oct-08 21:19:04

has anyone tried the baby jogger city mini stroller? argos says the weight limit is 22.5kg

cluelessagain Wed 08-Oct-08 21:30:26

I've just had a look at the landrover pushchairs, they've stopped making them! I'll have to search good old ebay!!!!

changer22 Wed 08-Oct-08 21:36:01

Landrovers or Mountain Buggy (Terrain is lighter than the Urban). MB are always available on ebay, Landrovers are a bit more collectable and hence can be more expensive.

chunglimum Wed 08-Oct-08 21:41:32

I got a second hand Jane Powertrack and it's great for walking - really large and lightweight, with great suspension. Not so good for public transport or fitting in a boot. DD is 2.7 and tall and she fits in it really well. Much cheaper than Landrover or Mountain buggy...

issyissyissy Fri 10-Oct-08 17:29:34

I got my landrover one from Ebay. Some of them go for more than others on there, I think it depends on who is looking for one at the time. It certainly is the best, I love it!!

savoycabbage Fri 10-Oct-08 17:36:08

I have just pushed my 4.11 year old dd home from school in a mclaerean volvo. She is huuuuge!

Meanwhile the baby toddled happily home...

angie37 Sun 17-May-09 22:00:53

Anyone out there

bran Sun 17-May-09 22:10:30

I have a Baby Jogger Mini City for DD. I've tried DS in it and he fits (although his head touches the hood) and the pushchair seemed to cope ok. He's nearly 5 and about 17kg, he's about average height for his age though. It's pretty roomy. It's light and it folds beautifully so good for putting in the car.

The Mothercare Urban Detour (the old-style one with large air-tyres) is in a whole different league for sturdiness and roominess. I had one for DS when he was a baby. I recommend having a look on ebay for one. The only Urban Detour that Mothercare still sell is the Vesta which is rubbish, very flimsy. Make sure you go for one of the big air-tyre types if you do buy one. It's very heavy (although light to push) and not suitable for constantly folding and unfolding or for lifting into a car.

CarGirl Sun 17-May-09 22:35:05

XTS twister is fab. Most of the "proper" 3 wheelers will take a heavier child but they only test to 15kg to comply with UK legislation.

JuliaL Mon 18-May-09 12:08:37

Teutonia Y2K. Built like a tank. My 7 year old still fits in it when tired abroad to no adverse effect. Regularly come up cheaply on ebay. Be certain to get the one piece version - rather than the later seat plus frame version. It is heavy, it is fixed wheel but I love them and they certainly do the job.

mumeny Fri 12-Jun-09 20:47:45

uninsurable baby!!! HElP! Our dd is seven months (was prem) and has had three hospital admissions for breathing difficulties/repeat infections/query pneumonia to name but a few...she has a hole in her heart and requires seven different medications a day at the moment - if you include the prescribed food....anyhoo, discovered today that the holiday insurance we had will no longer cover her. Has anyone had a similar experience, if so, where did you go in the end? We're due to go in August so have some (eeekkk) time to try to sort this.
Many thanks for your consideration.

mumeny Fri 12-Jun-09 20:49:11

omg! I am so sorry I've posted this in the wrong discussion....so sorry xx blush

purplemyrtle Sat 13-Jun-09 13:14:49

Icandy apple goes up to 20kg, but expensive, don't maclaren do a bigger version of techno xt? To be honest I'd be tempted to ignore the 15kg really as I think it may be to do with British Standard testing rather than buggies themselves, some ok for 15 in the UK seem to be advertised for more in the states

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now