Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know how the financial crisis is affecting the exchange rate between the £ and the Euro?

(5 Posts)
Miffyinsurrey Mon 06-Oct-08 15:16:17

I need to buy Euros for our skiing holiday and am wondering when would be a good time to buy them in terms of best exchange rate.

I know the £ has fallen substantially against the Euro this year but am wondering if with the current financial crisis the Euro is now falling faster than the pound, or maybe they are both falling at a similar rate?

Does anyone have any good advice? I've tried googling exchange rates but haven't got very far in terms of getting good info.

misi Tue 07-Oct-08 14:20:17

things are so up and down, reliable info is hard to come by I am afraid.
depends on why you want the info too, if its for holiday reasons then I think it will be playing it by ear for now but if for investment purposes, go for commodities instead.

www.economicsuk.com/blog/000631.html

www.mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/press/120907.php

www.forexfactory.com/news.php?do=news&id=109716

Miffyinsurrey Tue 07-Oct-08 16:27:34

Misi - thanks so much for the links. I will look those sites up.

I was looking for holiday purposes rather than investment. We have booked our skiing holiday independently so there are a lot of things we will need to buy in Euros, all food (as self catering), lift passes & equipment hire, childcare, etc etc.

So I'm wondering when would be the best time to buy euros between now and Christmas if anyone has a crystal ball!

Anyway I will look up those links. thank you.

Bucharest Tue 07-Oct-08 16:30:53

The euro is (for me) unfortunately still strong against the pound....250 euro is 204 pound today...

poppy34 Tue 07-Oct-08 16:34:42

pound slowly strengthening against pound..dh was quite animated about this but given I'd been up since 4 with dd I must admit I wasn't paying him a lot of attention wink.. and agree wtih misi to play it by ear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now